Forty-Seven

His breath trembled. Every muscle in his body was so tense that it pinched the flesh of his neck like needles.

Sucking in some air, Kyle snuck into the dark corridor. A few steps made of stone led downwards. Only dim lighting of electric candles illuminated the dark.

Now the scent of a kitchen was so persistent that his mouth was about to water. It smelled of freshly baked bread and something else.

Burned wood. But not in a way that could be smelled around a campfire. It was more like someone had lit a wooden spoon and now oils mingled with the air.

Or wooden beams. Which happened to hold together a good chunk of this place. Especially the ceiling, roof and carrying walls of the facade.

To make sure he wasn't imaging things Kyle threw a glance over his shoulder to check with Soap. Eyebrows knitted together, the Scott nodded to confirm.

Something wasn't right. Then again, if Kimmy truly had committed arson, or any other kind of crime, they could used it against her.

At this point it was only a matter of time until she got a one way ticket to the asylum.

Once more Kyle could feel a shiver chase up and down his spine. He swallowed hard, fought back nausea. Or perhaps it was just panic. He wasn't quite sure.

They made it all the way down to a third door. The last between them and Kimmy, as he could tell by the confused chatter and doorsteps that seeped from under the small crack.

Again, he sought Soap's gaze, swallowed hard. Confused, his teammate frowned, eyed him up and down before pushing himself to the frontline.

"You don't look like you should do this.", he muttered and threw a glance through the keyhole to spy on the ones inside the kitchen. "No offence."

A sigh of relief slipped off Kyle's lips. For a brief second he felt like some weight was taken off his shoulders. But only until his mind returned to the situation at hand.

"I can see her.", Soap informed, one eye squeezed shut and his face pressed to the cold wood. "Think she's having a monologue or something."

"The boys?", Kyle placed a hand on his shoulder, impatient, worried.

Soap shook his hand off.

"Hiding under the table."

"You think you can distract her?", Kyle shifted, tried to keep himself from dashing into the room. "We gotta get them out of that room. And then..."

His eyes traveled through the tight corridor. There wasn't a lot of places to stay unnoticed. Shadows were rare and almost no furniture was big enough to hide two children in them.

"Think faster.", Soap told him, a hint of urgency audible in the raspiness of his voice.

Kyle sucked in a sharp breath.

"I think I got something. But you gotta lure her somewhere she can't see. I need at least a minute."

"Feck, are ya serious? I'm not a wizard."

"Please."

Soap rolled his eyes at the sight of desperation that distorted Gaz's face. Sighing, he retreated from the door and searched his pockets to pull out a small, black orb made of green metal.

Kyle's eyebrows lifted.

"Smoke grenade?", he asked.

"Infused with pepper spray.", the Scot confirmed with a half nod. "Not gonna be pretty."

"She could tell on us."

"She won't be able to tell we were here. It's gonna be her word against ours."

"And the evidence?", Kyle pointed at the grenade. "Shell's gonna remain."

Soap eyes the thing for a moment.

"Not if we take it.", he said. "Picture this. She's gonna be struck by surprise, you take the boys and do whatever you have in mind, she runs to find them and I'll stay behind, sneak into the kitchen and grab the shell. Easy. Get in, get out."

For a brief moment Kyle looked at his mate.

"No getting caught.", he said in a serious manner. "And if it's too risky, abandon it."

"No fingerprints anyways.", Soap said with a smirk and wiggled his fingers that were hidden in black combat gloves.

Dark eyebrows drew together. Doubt appeared in deep brown eyes. But finally Kyle nodded and offered a fist to bump.

"Safe mission.", he said.

Soap placed a hand on the door, check one more time through the keyhole and then gifted him a confident smirk.

"No evidence.", he breathed in his hoarse voice and pulled the small run from the grenade, his fingers tightly wrapped around it to keep it from exploding into their faces. "Stay ready."

Kyle shoulders tensed as the door opened just wide enough to allow Soap to push the grenade into the kitchen.

Almost immensity the voice of Kimmy flooded his ears and a wave of unbearable hate washed over him.

"I just want to see my kids!", she muttered to herself while paced back and forth in front of a small window that wasn't even big enough to fit one of the boys. "I have a right... They can't keep you away from me! I'm your mother!"

She didn't even look at the kids a single time. All she did was yap to herself, her tongue heavy and her eyes clouded with some kind of fog. She wasn't living in the moment but inside her head.

Far, far away from reality.

Kyle shifted in his position and for a very brief second his eyes met the deep brown ones of Elliot. Crouching underneath the large wooden table that was used as a workstation for the kitchen, he had his small arms wrapped around Matti.

His eyes widened as he recognised the man's face. His little lips moved but he was smart enough not to scream. Immediately, Kyle place a finger on his lips to tell him to keep silent before he gestured for the kids to pull their heads in and cover their eyes and nose.

Tears shimmered in the boys eyes but they did as they were told. Almost proud, Kyle couldn't help but smile with relief.

But that feeling didn't last long.

With a sign, Soap informed him that he was ready and let the small shell roll across the stone floor. The sound was enough to make Kimmy snap out of her lunatic trance. But her mind couldn't understand fast enough before a cloud of white and black spots exploded.