Forty-Two

A sigh rolled off your lips as the warmth of dampness kisses your face. With your eyes shut you reached out to feel the temperature of the water.

Shivering, you pulled back while goosebumps chased up your arms. It was cold. Out here the water needed a little longer to warm up.

With a quick glance you looked over your shoulder. Kyle stood in front of the mirror, his eyebrows knitted together while he tried to trim his beard. It had grown quite a bit over the last days.

Lost in thought, you let your fingers run along your cheeks. Rough stubbles pressed against your fingertips. Maybe it was time for you to shave as well.

Although, you liked the thought of growing a beard. Maybe he'd like it. You, on the other hand, were all totally smitten about his facial hair. It only added to how handsome he was.

You approached him with a smile on your lips, wrapped your arms around his torso and pressed yourself against his back.

He curled his lips, tilted his head as he tried to reach a spot with his razor that needed hairs removed. You watched, slightly amused while he struggled in your grip.

"Need a hand?", you asked and breathed a kiss to his cheek.

He let out a deep breath. But before an answer could cross his lips the vibration of his phone made him flinch. Immediately, he reached for it to check the message that popped up on screen.

Out of reflex your eyes traveled to the display but failed to catch a glimpse of the message that made him clench his shoulders.

Without answering he put the phone away. A sigh rolled off his lips. With his eyes closed he let his head fall back against your shoulder.

He swallowed visibly.

"You okay?", you asked.

For a brief second he hesitated. It seemed like he thought about answering honestly. But instead he just shrugged and pushed you gently off him.

"I hope you like it hot.", he just said, one foot testing the temperature inside the shower. "The water, I mean..."

A smug grin appeared on your lips.

"Don't bait me like that.", you purred and held a hand out to feel the water. "This is fine."

His face darkened, almost disappointed.

"It's cold..."

Scared, you chuckled and watched how he cranked up the temperature to an extend that would burn your skin and flesh off your bones.

But you followed him anyways. Because of love. Or whatever. Maybe it was the feeling of sweat and dried body fluids. Or the view of Kyle's bare backside.

Whatever it was, it pushed you to be drenched within seconds. Your hands rose to wipe some of the wetness onto your face, to help you feel clean again.

Small droplets were visible on Kyle's thick curls. They danced like pearls on black sand, followed the curve of his neck and over his back.

Sunlight crawled into the room, kissed his skin and made it look like freshly brewed coffee at the crack of dawn. That one perfect sip after waking up that would be able to carry anyone through the day.

The beating of your heart pounded against your rib cage at the sight. He was so handsome, gentle yet masculine. It made your hands flinch.

Without thinking you wrapped your arms from behind around his torso and pulled him closer. His back pressed into your chest.

You breathed a kiss onto his shoulder. His eyes fell shut once more, his head leaned back to allow you to place a trail up kisses up his throat.

His hands found yours, fingers entwined.

For a brief moment the two of you stood still. Water rained down on you, wetted your naked bodies, filled the small space with fog.

It smelled of lavender and soap.

His breathing filled your hearts. Your heartbeat pressed against his spine. It felt like your bodies become one, so close, so fitting.

Like a puzzle that was finally complete.

"What's on your mind?", you kissed the sensitive space behind his ear.

Swallowing hard, Kyle turned his head away and reached for some shampoo. You caught his hand, pulled it back in a gentle manner to place a kiss against his knuckles.

He threw a glance over his shoulder. A few moments passed. All that filled the silence was the gushing of water that shattered between your feet.

"You're awfully affectionate.", a hint of sarcasm could be heard in his voice.

You smiled, wanted to release him from your grip. But his fingers squeezed yours, told you to stay close. Your eyes locked.

"Sorry?", you frowned, smiling. "I'm just trying to be a good partner."

He smiled but it was thin and kind of tired.

"That wasn't a complaint."

You eyed him. A sigh got stuck in your throat. Instead, you swallowed it, lifted your chin and kissed his cheek.

"You look troubled.", your hands found his face. "Let me in."

He let out a deep breath. Again, he averted his gaze, thought for a moment. Then he shook his head.

"You've got more on your plate.", he tried to brush it off. "Your kids. Kimmy. I'll manage..."

But you kept him in place, kept him where you needed him. Where he needed to be. From what he had told it seemed like Kyle was someone to run from uncomfortable situations.

Or himself.

Either way, this wasn't the place. You wanted to be there for him.

"Kyle.", you kissed him softly.

He returned it.

"(Y/N).", he sighed. "I'm... fine."

"Are you?"

He sucked in a sharp breath.

"Not really. I have to go back in a week. If I fail this aptitude test I don't know what's next...", he looked through his eyebrows to meet your gaze. "If they call me back into service... Would you wait for me?"

Something inside your chest pulled together.

"Yes.", you answered truthfully. "But I'd be scared to death every day that you're gone..."

He smiled sadly.

"I'm a soldier.", he whispered.

"I know. And I love you."