Thirteen

You rubbed your eyes tiredly as your bare feet walked along the wooden floor and the sound echoed off the walls. It was pleasantly warm, the light illuminating the corridor through the windows suggested that it would be a bright day with a clear sky.

Taking a deep breath, you stared at the door to your bedroom. You didn't want to wake Gaz, but at the same time you didn't feel like going back to sleep.

A day off shouldn't be wasted, otherwise it wouldn't feel rewarding. You knew what it was like to return to work unsatisfied. And with the current rush of orders and the demand of the day's business, you couldn't afford to be in a bad mood.

So you turned on your heel and climbed down the stairs to the kitchen. Yawning, you stretched your arms over your head. The hem of your t-shirt slipped up, exposing part of your stomach.

Suddenly you heard a whistle. Startled, you flinched, your eyebrows drawn together.

"Mornin'.", with a sleepy look in his eyes, he stood in the kitchen.

The smell of freshly brewed coffee filled the room. Thick curls stood out from his head. Yawning, he scratched his chin. His beard began to grow across his cheeks.

"You're awake.", you remarked casually, leaning against the kitchen island.

Again you rubbed the sleep out of your eyes, or at least tried to. Kyle turned round, two cups in his hands and offered you one.

"Still drink your coffee black?", he asked.

Without really paying attention to him, you took a cup. Dark brown liquid sloshed in it. It smelled so intense that you frowned in confusion.

You didn't have any expensive beans at home. At the bakery, quality was important, but at home you just drank coffee to get through the day. If that was any good and your bloodstream wasn't already full of pure caffeine.

But this coffee not only smelt good, it looked really tasty, not watery at all. More like something to see on Instagram in a food blog feed.

"What...", you mumbled and smelled the cup again. Roasted flavours.

Kyle frowned.

"You good?", he asked, one eyebrow lifted, and opened the fridge to get some milk out.

He shook the box and groaned in annoyance the next moment.

"Really now?", he asked, addressing you and shaking the carton again. "What kind of decency leftover is in there? There's not even any left, just a sad sip."

Annoyed, he opened the milk and tipped the last three drops into his cup. You were still too fascinated by the coffee he had made.

"Mate, did you fall asleep?", he threw the empty carton in the bin.

You frowned.

"What's that?", pointing into the cup, you raised your eyes to look at him properly for the first time that morning and frowned the next moment. "Why aren't you wearing a shirt?"

Shrugging, he took a sip of his coffee and grimaced.

"Got any sugar?", he looked round.

Still unable to take your eyes off his naked torso, you pointed up at one of the shelves.

"Small tin.", you mumbled.

He looked around briefly, recognised the target and reached up. His muscles tensed as he did so.

Kyle had not only grown, he had also put on muscle mass. You had suspected this the night before, but now the extent of the change became clear. He was slim, with broad arms and a six-pack.

The light of the sun fell on his dark skin and made it sparkle like shells in the Pacific. Your fingers twitched. It felt like you were going to start drooling at any moment.

With a deep breath, you closed your eyes and reminded yourself that you were a terrible friend. Kyle poured three large spoonfuls of sugar into his coffee before settling on the flavour and leaning casually against the kitchen counter.

"You look like shit.", he remarked dryly as he helped himself to his coffee.

Snorting, you frowned and pointed at him in confusion.

"Why aren't you wearing a shirt?", you repeated to yourself.

"I was sweating.", he raised an arm to smell it. "I think I need a shower..."

"Mad nasty, Kyle... Put some clothes on."

He looked at you sarcastically.

"Never seen a half naked man?"

"I've got kids, Kyle."

Yawning, he shook his head.

"I'm not showing any tits, so easy breezy."

Heat shot up your head, made it feel like your head was glowing like a lightbulb. He had no business making you feel the ways you did in this moment.

Annoyed at him and yourself for being such a brainless baboon, you pointed straight at his bulky chest. A few strands of tiny black curls grew on both sides of his chest.

"Then what the hell you call these?", you asked, one eye about to twitch.

Rolling his eyes, he emptied his coffee.

"Jealous?", he asked with a smirk, tilting his head.

"Oh, yeah, totally. Put. On. Some. Clothes.", to put some extra pressure into your words you bared your teeth and gifted him the best dad expression a man could make. "Whore."

Shrugging, he put his cup in the sink. As he did so, his torso moved, muscles stretched and he looked even more divine than before.

Christ on a stick, he looked like one of these Greek statues carved from marble! Like a god.

Swallowing hard, you rubbed your burning eyes. Maybe you just needed more sleep. Or a burning hot shower to cleanse you off your sins.

Probably both.

"Mind if I grab a shower?", he asked.

"Not really.", you shrugged, face buried in your palm. "Say, why don't you just go home?"

He stared at you. You stared at him.

A snort made his round nose crunch. It reminded you of the snoot of a dog that you wanted to touch just to feel the bolt of joy that came with touching something that looked cute.

"You want me to?", he rubbed the back of his neck.

He really did look unnecessarily handsome. The sight threw you right back to your final year in sixth form college when you had done everything in your power not to be the weird gay best friend that tried to turn his straight buddy gay.

But the devil knew you had struggled being a good friend. And it seemed that hadn't changed. It had just retreated into the shadows for a while.

"You don't want to?", you tried to take your mind off the fact that he was one hell of a bloke.

His eyes lowered to the floor.

"Not really."

You sighed.

"Be my guest then.", you downed your coffee. "I need someone to get groceries. And you, my dude, gotta earn your stay."