Forty-Six

With the usual soldiers discipline, Kyle hoovered along the wall of the castle, down some old stairs and through a small side way that was located under some bay window.

The century old wood seemed to be as black as sin in this foggy weather. Stained with all the cruel things that once had been done to the people of this place.

Soap was right behind him, playing with a knife that danced between his fingers. Irritated, Kyle threw a glance over his shoulder as stopped in front of an old wooden door with iron hinges.

"We're not here to take someone out.", he hissed and stretched his neck to throw a glance through a window, into the room below. "Put that away."

Soap shrugged.

"Better safe than sorry, aye?", one of his eyebrows lifted as he hesitated and thought for a moment. "Didn't ya tell she's an addict?"

Deep wrinkles appeared on his forehead as Kyle stated to try to lock pick the old door. But with a keyhole that was this specific his skills seemed to be at their limits.

Still, he tried. Desperation clawed at his throat. Even though he was meant to do this with a calm head, even though this was just another mission, he couldn't help but feel restless.

He found his hands trembling as one of the lock picks he used snapped in half. A soft curse slipped off his lips. He reached for another, only to force his emotions down and take a deep breath.

"Gaz.", Soap pushed his face into his mates field of vision.

"What?!", his voice was sharper than Kyle wanted it to be but he had never been so tense before.

Not in active duty, at least.

"The woman. She's an addict, ain't she?"

His hands froze. He let out a deep breath that was awfully close to a sigh of defeat.

"Yeah, why?"

Soap frowned, thought again.

"We could use that against her. Like, make her look insane.", he suggested. "If we go in and take the kids... She won't react kindly to that."

"She already is insane.", Kyle argued.

"Tell that to them coppers out there.", Soap gestured over his shoulder to the other side of the castle where the voices of the officers still seemed to argue with your parents. "If she has a breakdown they'll have to take her into custody. For safety reasons."

A little confused, Kyle frowned.

"You sound like you've done that before.", he noted and returned to work on the lock, his hands finally a little more steady than before.

Soap sucked in a sharp breath, chewed on the inside of his cheek.

"And if I did?", he asked, as serious as he had never been.

Kyle stopped moving for a second again.

"I won't judge.", he simply said.

Finally, after what felt like an eternity, the old lock gave in and a small crack opened between the door and the wall. Carefully, Kyle threw a glance inside to make sure no one was around before he snuck in.

With bated breath the two soldiers made their way through the small, scruffy corridor. Sandy stone curved above their heads while old carpets protected hardwood floors.

Everything seemed so ancient, unreal. Almost as if he had entered a whole different world with his modern day problems.

At the end of the floor waited another locked door. This time it took Kyle less time to pick the lock. Yet his fingers still felt awfully stiff.

Tense. Just like the rest of his body.

"What's your plan?", Kyle asked as they had made it into the cellar that was located right before the kitchen.

The scent of flour and dried herbs reached his nose. It was warm, enough so to assume that a fire burned somewhere, perhaps inside a fireplace.

Hopefully.

At the thought of Kimmy possibly committing arson while being stuck inside solid stone walls he shivered all over. It almost made his stomach twist.

"I'd say we snatch the kids once we've got a chance.", Soap examined the surroundings.

"We can't just walk out with them. Police will be on our asses."

"Right. Feckin' hell... Maybe..."

Tense, Kyle looked around. His breathing was still calm but not because he was. This was purely because of his training. And if he was completely honest with himself, he was tense as fuck.

At the verge of loosing his mind, to be exact. It almost made him laugh about himself. Here he was, a man who had been in these kids' life for mere weeks and yet he felt like those were his own children who were at risk.

He couldn't even describe the hate he had for Kimmy.

What would make a mother be this terrible and selfish?

Surely she didn't believe that this was good for the kids. Especially not their mental health. They'd be severely traumatised. He made a mental note to suggest therapy for the entire family once this was all over.

Himself included.

"Ya think she's on it right now?", Soap's voice tore Kyle from his thoughts.

Blinking, he looked up to meet the blue eyes with confusion.

"Why would that matter?", he asked with his shoulders pulled up.

"It might put her into a confused state. If something happens that she doesn't expect it might make her act out."

"I don't want to put the boys in more danger."

Soap chewed on the bottom of his lip.

"The boys...", he thought out loud. "She's just here for the boys, no?"

Kyle frowned. Impatience made his fingers itch. He was toying with the idea of taking Kimmy out for good and just risk a few years of prison time.

But then again, he didn't want to leave you hanging. He wanted this life, imagined a future he could be happy with.

A future with you. As stepdad to Elliot and Matthias.

The realisation struck him so cold that he shivered for a second, choked on his own breath.

Since when had he become so attached to someone? To life itself?

For the first time in forever he didn't want to run from something. He wanted to run towards it.

"I assume she wants to leave with them.", Kyle finally said with a shake of his head.

"Then... if they happen to disappear... that might do the trick. Fuck with her plans. Use her own mind against her."

Kyle frowned. But as Soap gestured to follow him he did not question the plan. In the end he was happy if the boys returned in one piece. No matter the cost.