Ten

"You did great, you know.", after what felt like an eternity Kyle finally broke the silence.

Tired, you smiled. Two empty wine glasses sat on the counter. You could feel a light fuzz that helped clear your head while his eyes roamed over your face, heavy.

"I wanted to do more. Less but also more.", you shrugged. "It's not fair that the boys don't have a mom. It wasn't fair to myself to sleep with her even though I knew I'm not into women."

Taking a deep breath, he let his hands run through the thick curls on his head. Now that he had shed the jacket and hat, you had a pretty good view of his face and torso.

Time in the military had done him well, he was lean now, now a good amount of muscles. The shade of his dark skin shimmered like polished marble as the golden light of the lamps hit it.

You smiled.

"You need to be less hard on yourself.", he gifted you a smile that made you smile immediately as well. "I mean for all I care it could be worse."

"Yeah, I could be married to her.", you joked. "Nah, but seriously this is just... trauma dumping. Don't bother too much."

Taking a deep breath you grabbed the glasses off the counter to put them in the sink. You'd wash them tomorrow. Or once you had the chance to.

Lost in thoughts you leaned against the edge of the sink, felt the cold metal press into your back. Tired, you wiped your face, tried to rub your eyes to make them stay open for longer.

But it was no use. You were flattened. Even though it had been a quick response you were glad you had told Lina that you'd take time off for the weekend.

Everyone had a limit and your body screamed that it had reached yours.

"Hey.", all of a sudden Kyle's fingers wrapped around your wrist.

Torn from your thoughts you blinked, raised your head and took a deep breath before you were able to look at him again. Suddenly you felt like an idiot.

Why had you told him all this?

After so many years of not seeing each other you had unloaded all your baggage onto him within one night. It wasn't fair. Just a little weird.

Now that you thought about it, it made you cringe a little. He'd leave in the morning and after that only the devil knew if you'd see each other again.

Maybe he'd leave for good and would only remain as one last memory of the time you've had together. That thought made your stomach twist and turn.

No, you wanted to keep him by your side this time.

Your eyes met. Warm brown kissed tired (E/C). Your breath hitched as the warmth of his skin seeped into your flesh.

All of a sudden you felt like your cheeks were glowing. Your head hurt. Everything was so warm it made your lungs pull together.

Air. You needed fresh air.

"Sorry...", you muttered and pushed yourself past him, completely ignoring the fact how firm his body felt against yours. "Mind if I open the windows?"

Without waiting for an answer you walked straight through the open living room and into the greenhouse. The door refused to be opened for a moment.

With your teeth clenched you let out a low hiss.

"Hey.", gently, Kyle placed his hands on your shoulders. "C'mon, let me help."

Together, you pulled apart the different pieces of the door until it slid back into its original place. Now it rolled open in one swift movement.

Cold air hit you in the face, made strands of your (H/C) hair dance. Sighing, you let your eyes fall shut and popped down on the edge of the patio, your feet dangling into the dark.

Your mind fell silent.

"You did great.", Kyle reassured as he lowered himself to the ground next to you. "You're still doing great. Just because you had the boys for the wrong reasons doesn't make you a bad father."

With his arms crossed behind his head he lay on the floor while staring up at the stars that shimmered through the glass ceiling.

A soft breeze made his shirt flicker, exposing a few bits of his toned stomach.

You ignored it. Even though it was undeniable that he was one handsome motherfucker now you had no reason to rub it into your own face.

You needed to mind your own business. Besides, after everything he had told you it seemed rather safe to say that he wasn't into men.

Besides that crush he's had on you in middle school. But that was more than ten years ago. No, you really had other things to worry about than Kyle.

All you wanted was your friend back. Not to pressure him with your baggage.

"No, just a cunt.", you agreed with a smirk.

He huffed, frowned.

"You're still so fuckin' unserious.", he muttered. "How didn't your mom disown you yet?"

"Oh, she was about to when she found out who I had relations with. But she adores the boys.", your eyes wandered through the dark while the cold wind chased away the heat of the wine that held your head hostage. "And you?"

"Hm?", with his eyes closed her frowned, relaxed and not at all bothered by anything that had been said. "What about me?"

You smiled mildly.

"You don't got any shit going on? Ten years of not seeing each other and you're telling me you're still just... Kyle?", you shrugged, unable to find the right words.

The expression on his face darkened. And all of a sudden he looked depressed.

"They send me home.", he swallowed hard. "Six weeks leave to improve my mental health."

You glanced at him.

"Are you..?"

"No. Not suicidal or anything. Just... stressed, I guess.", he turned his head away to avoid your gaze. "I've been on the run for the past decade or so. Even more since mom died."

"Your dad?"

"Haven't spoken to him in years."

"He remarried."

"Wasn't at the wedding."

"Good choice. It was... well let's just say many people thought his wife was his daughter that he walked down the aisle."

Kyle let out a snort.

"What a bloody shit show...", he sighed.

"Hmm. Guess we didn't change as much as we planned."

"Nah... we're still the same deaf cunts... you've got too much shit going on and I'm just... all by myself."

Chucking, you gave him a bump to the shoulder.

"I'm still here.", you smiled at him.

"You'll stay this time?", he asked and looked at you.

Your eyebrows lifted.

"Will you?"