Twenty-Two

You kept glancing at your mobile phone. Slowly, your foot rocked against the wooden surface, making a noise.

Kyle's eyes were on you, worried and curious at the same time. He was standing on the other side of the island, both arms resting on the surface.

An uncomfortable silence filled the house, neither Matti nor Elli had come downstairs again, had not resisted going to bed. Instead, they had immediately fallen asleep.

Somehow it all felt far too strange. As if it didn't really fit together.

"Dammit.", you muttered, fingers buried in your (H/C) hair.

You checked your mobile phone again. Still no message. Actually, that was a good thing.

How many times had you thrown up twice a year because it was inevitable to get a message you didn't want?

And every year it was always the same shit. You yawned tiredly, burying your face in your hands.

Kyle's eyebrows raised.

"Something's up.", he realised.

You sighed.

"No.", you shook your head. "All good..."

And again you looked at your mobile phone. Shit, how stupid you felt. So incredibly stupid.

Why couldn't you just relax?

Why did you have to worry and believe that the worst would happen?

"(Y/N).", with a soft gleam in his eye, Kyle leaned forward.

The warmth of his breath brushed your face as you lifted your head to look at him. You felt so tired.

At the same time, there was this feeling breathing into the back of your neck, like a creature in the dark. It made the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, gave you goose bumps.

You breathed in shakily, your teeth clenched.

"I'm fine.", you hissed.

"We both know that's bollocks.", he folded his arms on the kitchen counter and rested his head on them. "I owe you quite a lot. If you want to talk."

"Kyle...", you frowned, having to pinch your nose to stifle a headache.

But it moved to the side and nestled in your temples instead. Your display lit up. But it wasn't the message you were expecting. Swallowing hard, you took it in to answer.

"Are you expecting someone in particular to text?", curiosity and something else mingled in Kyle's voice, bitter and perhaps a little jealous.

How he hated sounding like that. You wrote a quick message and then put the mobile phone away again, with the display facing down.

"Mum asked if we wanted to visit.", you managed a thin smile. "For Matti's birthday."

His brows lifted. He knew that wasn't the reason why you were so upset. Although he would have preferred a real answer, Kyle took a deep breath and nodded.

"Do your parents still live in the neighbourhood?", he asked instead to change the subject.

A weight fell from your shoulders. Nevertheless, it didn't get good. Just better. The pressure shifted to the back of your head.

"Dad retired last year.", you rubbed your face hoping you wouldn't look as tired as you felt. "So they sold the house and moved to Scotland."

A mild smile twitched at the corners of his lips. He let out a slight gasp of surprise.

"To the highlands?", he asked.

"Yep. Mum always wanted to go there. Now they have plenty of time. A small house, chickens and sheep.", you frowned. "And a single cow. For whatever reason."

He grunted.

"Just like she always wanted.", he murmured, his eyes wandering out of the window where the four of you had planted a mother's rosebush.

The white buds had recovered dramatically over the last few weeks, some slowly beginning to open as more and more buds sprouted. It was healthier, better cared for.

And you realised every morning how much the sight delighted you. It brought back memories. Good memories. And at the same time it stung like the thorns.

"She wants to see the boys.", you continued, suppressing your feelings again. "At least once a year. I think... it would be good to take some time off. Longer than a just few days."

He nodded. But all at once he tore his eyes away from you and seemed to wrestle with himself. He didn't know what to say to that. But he also didn't dare ask a question that was burning on his mind.

"How long will you be gone?", he asked, taking a deep breath.

He leaned back again, the warmth of his closeness leaving the shadow of resentment on your skin. How much it burned. How much you wanted him to lean forward again so you could see him up close.

So you could lean forward and... And what?

You weren't sure yourself. No, you cleared your throat with a slight shake of your head. But this subliminal desire remained. It was like a parasite clawing at your flesh.

"Not sure.", you shrugged your shoulders. "Mum must have plans with the boys. Dad asked me for help with the house, he can't carry that heavy anymore."

Understandably, he nodded, his gaze fixed on his hands. He had nice hands, you'd noticed that before. Suddenly you wondered what it would feel like to be touched by him.

Heat coursed through your head. Embarrassed, you ignored it and glanced at your mobile phone again.

"Maybe a few weeks.", you swallowed the desire that tightened around your neck.

"Weeks?", his eyebrows raised.

"Two. Maybe three. If mum doesn't let us go. And I can finish everything with dad."

Kyle took a shaky breath. His brown eyes travelled hastily across the kitchen counter.

"I've got...", he clenched his hands into fists. "I've only got four weeks left. Then I have to go back to the second aptitude test."

Your eyes met. You smiled tiredly.

"Are you scared?", you asked cautiously. "That you're not suitable?"

He swallowed hard and nodded slowly. Then his face pulled together.

"I... Don't want to be alone.", he admitted quietly. "I've just got used to everything."

You looked at him. Silently, he begged for an answer. But as your lips moved, there was a sudden knock on the door.

An icy shiver crawled down your spine.