chapter 87 Steven's first real diamond job: watching a trial

Steven prepared his Cape that blue diamond gifted him, he made sure it looked perfect, he even made pearl check for him in case there was a single crease visble, "no real diamond would have imperfect clothes", he told himself. Today, he wore dark blue boots instead of his usual socks and sandals he believed he needed to look more "mature" and that new footwear would make him much more diamond like than his current look.

He stood near the doors of blue's room, standing confident with his hamds on his hips, patiently waiting for yellow diamond. Every couple of seconds he would ask pearl if the time was right and if she'd be here soon along with the exact time yellow said she'd be there, he needed his "waiting skills" to be perfect too. Each time pearl answered him and told him he needed to wait and it was stil too early for her now, but early was good to steven, right now he needed to show yellow had much he'd be practicing himself for this, if she knew how long he had been waiting for her, she'd be so impressed.

Finally the doors opened and there stood the giant yellow leader herself, her pearl standing behind her and giving blue's pearl a smirk. she looked down at steven and smiled, this was unusual for her normally stone cold, serious demeanour, some gems who walked past and saw this frose from shock, many couldn't even imagine seeing yellow in such a way.

"you're ready?, good", she said to him, looking into the room before they'd leave to check on blue diamond. Blue diamond was sitting on her bed and just facing the wall, yellow's smile faded when she saw what she was doing, she was always worried about blue, her worries had increased much more recently ever since blue became corrupted and tried to attack her, she feared her mental state was finally breaking after all these years of stress.

Yellow walked out to the corridor and steven followed after her, pearl coming with him too, she stood next to yellow's pearl, they both had to be behind the two diamonds at all times. As steven and yellow walked next to eachother, he started to worry about how he looked so small and ridiculous compared to her, she could easily pick him up in her hand.

"What are you thinking steven?", yellow asked him, she could see something was on his mind, it shocked steven she couldn't just read his mind like his mother was able to, he assumed all diamonds where capable of this. "Oh, it's just, I'm worried I'm a bit short for a diamond", Steven confessed, yellow loudly laughed at this, her voice echoing through the halls, getting the attention of nearby gems. Steven stood still as he watched her laugh, her laughter made him feel so uncomfortable.

"Oh my! Have you seen the size of pink diamond by any change?", she said, stopping the laughter when she saw Steven was not laughing with her, instead looking at her, obviously offended and hurt by her reaction to his question. "you know your mother was your size when she was young?", yellow changed her tone to a more friendly one and looked down to him, "a diamond grows a lot from their early days and you seem to be very new, not even in your hundreds yet! Don't be impatient steven, soon you'll be just like us!", this cheered him up very quickly and they continued their journey to wherever she was taking him.

The two Pearls never spoke a word, they just followed behind them in complete silence, their heads bowed, it made Steven feel very uncomfortable. He noticed over these past couple days Pearl's personality had completely disappeared, she just stayed quiet at all times and always seemed to either be with blue or lapis. Those times he loved where her personality would shine through had completely vanished and it scared him, he feared something bad had happened to her that somehow made her return to this robotic lifeless gem.

"So are you gonna let me command a fleet of ships?", "no.", "maybe let me explore new untouched planets?", "no.", "oh I know! Me and you are gonna watch over a new kindergarten and see brand new gems!", "no.". Steven asked yellow for clues all throughout their travel together, each question all having the same disappointing answers, soon steven would give up trying to look for clues and instead convince himself this must be some sort of exciting suprise instead, something he can't even imagine, well at least that's what kept him happy and distracted from the boring walk.

"You'll be observing a trial", finally yellow answered, they now stood in front of something similar to a warp, but it was all white. In the corner two gems who steven swore he had seen his mother draw before stood, they where getting ready for something, checking screens that connected from their monocles. "A trial?", Steven asked, " you'll be observing and taking part in the trial of one of the crystal gems who worked for pink diamond, as you're an eye witness and a diamond your presence is very necessary", yellow answered, the Pearls both stepped forward and checked the warp, both warping for a second then returning back and saluting yellow.

"It seems all is ready", yellow said, her pearl giving her a mirror from her gem, she took it and looked in it to make sure she looked perfect before the trial started, soon after she gave it back to her pearl who put it back in her gem. Steven didn't know what to expect, a trial sounded boring but much easier compared to all the other things he expected. Still he feared he should've studied on how a diamond should act before starting work, but he was too far now, he couldn't just say no, he wiped the sweat of his head and followed yellow and the Pearls to the warp, ready for his first ever diamond job.