Chapter 16

I watched the drivers the rest of the day and stayed on stand by if Martin needed anything. He asked me how the interview went and I had to lie, saying Daniel simply had a question for me and nothing more, so I wouldn't be able to write an article about it.

It was finally time for qualifying and I felt my heart pounding more than it ever had before. I was nervous, but I wasn't quite sure why I felt this way. I had watched these races a number of times, but something about this day felt different.

I watched as one by one each car began their outlaps. Eventually a shiny white Alphatauri adorned with the number 40 made its descent onto the track. Liam. My heart skipped a beat. I hope he did well. What the fuck? Who am I? No. I hope he does shit. I watched and waited for the papaya car to come out of the garage and onto the track.

I smiled as I watched Lando make it into Q2. I tried my best not to let myself feel bad for Liam as he didn't make it into Q2. The fact that he qualified dead last gave me something to make fun of him for later though. Based on the way he was acting earlier I was definitely going to rip into him tonight.

Qualifying was over and Lando had managed to qualify P2 meaning he would start on the front row. I ran over to where the drivers who qualified in podium positions would park their cars and waited for Lando. He got out of his car and scanned the crowd immediately finding me. He jumped into the crowd giving all of us a big hug and smushing my hair around a little. He put his visor up and looked at me. Pointing at me and holding up the number 4 with his other hand I heard him say.

Lando: For you!

I felt butterflies in my stomach. If he only knew what he did to me. Lando was my best friend, but I couldn't tell him about these feelings. Not unless I was sure he felt the same way.

I walked out of that area and waited for Lando outside his room. I knew he would be busy doing some interviews, but after he definitely had to celebrate with at least a nice meal.

Liam: Waiting for your boyfriend?

Great.

Y/N: Waiting for an invitation to Q2?

Liam: Nice one.

Y/N: You started it.

Liam: Boy do you sound mature.

Y/N: As if calling Lando my boyfriend every chance you get isn't childish.

Liam: Whatever. At least I'm not still afraid of the dark.

Why the hell was he bringing that up?

Y/N: What is your problem? You've been such a dick to me today? I guess I should expect this from you, but still.

Liam: I don't know what you're talking about. You say I'm always mean to you right? That's why you chose-

He cut himself off, but I desperately wanted him to finish.

Liam: Whatever. Think you could stay with Lando tonight? I have to make sure I'm well rested for the race. I have a lot of places to make up as you kindly reminded me.

Y/N: Fine, whatever.

I sigh now thinking I'm going to have to put Lando out tonight.

Liam: Hope the boogie man doesn't get you Y/N.

Liam said over his shoulder as he walked away from me.

Y/N: You know what Liam, maybe I'm scared of the dark, but at least I'm not scared to tell people how I actually feel, which is a lot more than you can say.

He just kept walking. God why did I let him get under my skin like that? And what did he mean by choosing?