Chapter 9

I made it back to my house feeling really worried. When mom texted me, I felt so happy she was okay but her text kinda scared me. Good news? Bad? Well, we're are going to have to find out.

I walk up my doorstep, knocking on the door. Mom answer quickly, startled me a bit. "Oh honey, your okay!" She said, pulling me into a hug. I hugged her back saying "I'm okay mom, I hanged out with Kelsey yesterday, and her cousin Shawn. I was going to come home, well I was home, until I left the keys in my bedroom. I was deciding to sleep outside until you came home but Shawn showed up and asked to stay over his place. And I did. I called out no one answered."

"Oh. It's okay honey. Shawn sounds like a great kid. When can I meet him?" Mom asked. We both went inside and wakes to the kitchen. Oh no. "I don't know yet, but mom we are just friends. Okay?"I said. I don't want her to think hes more than that. I told her about the "Jake situation" and I don't want things taken to far right now. "I know. But I still want to meet him." She said, smiling at me.

My mom has been with me through thick and thin. She's kinda the best. She has beautiful curly blonde hair. She's kinda the same height as me. Kinda weird. But I love her. So much. She has my back and I have hers.

My mom and dad are divorced. That's why we moved to Toronto. We needed a new start. I believed he's in California. We haven't really been close. But I'm sure his fine there.

"Wanna go out to eat? Just the 2 of us?" Mom asked. "Yeah, sure." I said, giving a small smile.

••

We decided what we wanted to eat and we chose chipotle. No so big, but something. I got my usual meal and my mom got hers. We sat down my the window and started eating.

"How's summer?" Mom asked. "It's been good I guess." "Oh." She said, and went back to eating her nuggets. Something's wrong. I don't know. Whatever.

I got up and told Mom I was going to the restroom. I looked in and see there's was a huge line for the bathroom. So I check my phone and start playing a game on it.

Time passed, and I made it in. And I went to the sink and washed my hands. Cleaning up my makeup that I didn't feel was right, and put my hair into a pony.

When I came back, we left the restaurant and decided to go to this little festival they were having close by. It was so cool. They have bands playing, games you can play, food. It was so beautiful. There were lights hanging everywhere.

"This looks nice." Mom said, smiling at me. We walked through the entrance. There was so many people here. I don't know why I never heard of this festival before.

My mom loves those little carnival games. I don't know why. She adores them. I like them, but not like she does. One time, she lost at that bottle game and played again and again until she got one ring to a bottle. But she never did. She wasted like $100 on a game. I laughed thinking of that thought. I look around seeing smiles.

I got up and in five seconds I'm on the floor.
"Ouch." I said, rubbing my head. "Oh my! I'm sorry!" I hear a girl voice. I feel hands grabing my arm and pulling me up. I got up in my 2 feet and look at the girl that bumped into me.

"Brooke?" The girl said. "Huh?" I said. Her face looks familiar but I can't put my finger on it.

"It's me, Sophie Rhodes? We went to middle school together." She said in a voice that I can slowly remember. "Oh! Sophie. Hi."I said looking at her, and then looked away. "I'm sorry about bumping into you." Sophie said.

"No, it's fine. How are you?" I asked.

"I'm doing good. Loving summer." She said.

"Well okay. I got to go find my mom, so it was nice seeing you." I said with a smile.

"You too! We should keep in touch!"

We exchange numbers and I went to go find my mom. I found my mom playing this game. "Mom can we go? I'm getting tired." I said, kinda yawning a bit.

"Alright. Let's go"

••

We got to the car and Mom started driving.

"I had fun today." Mom said.

"Me too." I replied.

"Hey, there's something I have to tell you. Remember that text about I needed to talk. Well it's best that I tell you now." Mom said.

"What is it?" I said, feeling a little scared if it's good or bad.

"We are moving."