Chapter 10

I woke up in my bedroom.

It was still dark and the twinkly lights were on. I couldn't remember a thing that had happened. I must have had the milk and fallen asleep. I turned around to find Elijah sitting on my bed, looking at me with a worried expression, covered in blood. Then I remembered everything. I remembered what Daniel had told me and nearly being killed. I remembered wanting to scream for help but some weird mind control trick that Daniel did had stopped me. I also remembered Elijah walking in, covered in blood seconds before I passed out.

He was now leaning towards me, but I moved away from him. It couldn't be true, could it? Vampires didn't exist. They were just fictional characters in some of my favourite books. There was no way that the man I had fallen in love with could be a vampire. I didn't really know why, but I was afraid of him. There was a small part of my mind telling me that he was dangerous and what Daniel had said was true. But why wouldn't Elijah tell me himself? And what was that other thing Daniel had said?

"Please, I can explain. You don't have to be afraid of me." Elijah begged.

He looked sad, almost as if he was about to start crying.

I looked at him, not being able to get a word out. All I could do was nod.

"This might sound crazy, but it's all true. I'm not going to hurt you. You know that Kaylee. What Daniel said was true. I did kill her. I didn't actually want to kill my own mother, what kind of monster would do that? I had just been turned a few hours ago by my uncle. He always sat alone at family reunions. Everybody thought he was crazy. His wife had been found dead a few days before he turned me. Almost everyone decided to go on vacation around that time just so they could get away from Uncle Tom. My mother didn't want to leave her brother so we stayed. She let him stay with us while my father was away on a business trip. One night he came into my room and said he had to tell me something. Uncle Tom told me he was a vampire. I thought it was pretty cool. I didn't know he would try to hurt me or my family. I don't remember much of what happened after, I just remember waking up and not feeling well. I usually woke up early but on that day I had slept in until about 2 in the afternoon. She was worried about me. When she walked in, I felt different, I didn't know what was happening. I was hungry. My mother leaned over to see if I had a fever and in that moment I flung myself at her. Biting her neck and feeding. I couldn't stop and I didn't know what I was doing. I remember hearing Daniel scream and cry and Uncle Tom running into the room and holding him back. Then Uncle Tom did what he had done to me and bit Daniel, turning him into one of us, a monster."

"H-how do you become a vampire?" I was still trying to understand this. I didn't really know what to think yet.

"You have to be bitten by one. Then after a few hours all you have to do is feed and you're one of them. You can learn how to control the thirst. We don't have to kill. We just have to drink the blood."

"Can anyone become a vampire?"

"Yes."

"What about Daniel. Why did he try to hurt me? What does he want from me?"

"He doesn't want to hurt you, he wants to hurt me. He has never forgiven me for killing Eliza. He knows that if he kills you, I won't be able to control myself and lose control. I won't let him hurt you Kaylee. I promised I wouldn't and I will keep that promise. I was going to tell you everything, but not right away. I was afraid of losing you. I didn't want you to be afraid of me and I still don't. I love you. Please believe me. I won't hurt you. You don't have to be afraid." He started pleading. A tear falling from his eye.

I have never, in my entire life had a guy cry over me. I also had not fallen in love with a vampire before. I wasn't afraid of Elijah, I was afraid of Daniel, of other vampires like Daniel, and most importantly, I didn't want to lose Elijah. I have read books before. Most of the time the vampire leaves the girl because he doesn't want to change her. She gets old and wrinkly and the vampire freaks out and runs away.

"You're seriously thinking about books now? Of all the things you could be thinking about you remember reading books about vampires who leave the girl because she turns old?" Elijah started laughing.

I really loved that laugh. It made me feel safe. I giggled.

"I would never leave you. Not unless you asked me to and even then I wouldn't be able to. I love you too much. I'd even change you if you asked me to." he grinned.

"Okay, but I do have one question?"

"What is it, love?"

"Do you sparkle in the sun light or was that just Edward?"

Elijah started laughing.

"You really need to stop reading those books. I don't sparkle. I'm not a disco ball. I can go out in the sunlight like any other normal human being. I do have speed and strength. I can also read minds."

"Wait wait wait! You can read minds? Are you serious? So you know what I always think?" I was shocked. Please don't tell me he knows what I thought that one time we were in his cabin.

"I am and I can. But I don't like to fish around your mind, only when I'm really curious. Most of the time I just shut it off and try to communicate like a normal person. It does make things a lot easier at times. Oh and don't worry, I don't know what you were thinking that day. Although I can guess by the way your heart started racing when I mentioned this." he smirked.

"Oh I was just thinking about how nicely decorated the cabin was." I tried to lie, knowing he already knew what I had thought.

"Of course, it was the flowers wasn't it?" he chuckled.

"Yeah, the flowers." I giggled again.

"You should get some more rest. It's only 5 in the morning. We can go to Betty's in the morning." Elijah said, standing up and getting ready to leave.

"Can you stay with me?" I asked, grabbing his hand. I made sure to add the puppy dog face, it always made people say yes and agree to everything I said.

Elijah hesitated but got into bed and wrapped his arms around me. I fell asleep with a smile on my face.

A/N: okay so first off, I know it's been like 8273561583543 years since my last update but it's finally spring break so it's all good. I've written a few chapters already. I actually wrote them a few days ago but my tablet deleted them all and I had to write them again. It was torture. I'll update again soon. Another reason I haven't updated is because I've been working on something super cool and you'll probably find out by tomorrow. Also, thanks so much for all the reads. I still can't believe it! I'm gonna go and write a few more chapters now. xx