Chapter 23

The sound of pouring rain and thunder nearly made me fall out of bed. With my heart nearly beating out of my chest, I turned towards where I thought Elijah would be, but the bed was empty and cold. 

We had gotten to the cabin a few hours ago but I had been so exhausted I'd already fallen asleep in the car. Elijah had carried me inside and I woke up just to change into more comfortable clothes and went straight back to sleep.

Now the clock display was flashing a bright red 3 a.m., where could he have possibly gone at this time of night?

Another crash of thunder sent shivers down my spine and my heart picked up it's pace. I quickly jumped out of bed and put on some socks. 

I had hoped Elijah would just be sitting in the living room or something, but all the lights in the cabin were off. I was slowly starting to panic, turning on all the lights and looking for him in every room. 

On the kitchen floor I stepped on something and when I reached to pick it up I heard what sounded like trees falling outside somewhere and noticed that what I'd nearly tripped over was Elijah's phone. 

A strong gust of wind hit my back and I turned to find the back door wide open, rain splattering inside the cabin. There was no way Elijah could have just left me there and not even bothered to shut the doors. 

Dropping the phone back to the floor, I started running and didn't even notice the cold sting of the rain on my skin or my completely soaked socks, I just knew I had to find him. 

I'm not sure how far I ran or where I had been going, but after what seemed like seconds I got to a clearing in the woods to find two dark figures fighting. 

Immediately, I knew one of them was Elijah. 

Before I could do anything, I was pushed back into a tree and someone had painfully placed their hand around my neck. 

"Didn't want to miss the action, did you?" I gasped for air and squinted my eyes, trying to recognize who'd just attacked me. "Shame though, seems like it's about to end. Sorry, neighbor." 

Vicky. 

"Why are you doing this?" I choked out in pain. 

"I'm just here to give Elijah what he deserves. Nothing personal, although you are quite a pain the a-" she didn't get to finish her sentence because another dark figure had pulled her off of me and thrown her across the clearing. 

"What are you doing here? Go back to the cabin!" Drew yelled, lightly trying to push me away from the clearing.

"I'm not leaving Elijah. Someone always gets hurt when we're apart." I pushed him away from me and walked past him only to be pushed to the ground. Vicky had clearly not been fazed by the fact that she'd just been thrown to the other side of this rather large clearing. 

I thought this would be it. she would definitely kill me now, but she kind of froze, her hold on me weakened and suddenly I found myself looking right into her lifeless eyes. Her body fell to the side and Drew was staring at me, a bloody heart in his hand. 

Thunder rumbled through the night and before I could process what had just happened, a sharp wooden object came flying out of nowhere and straight into Drew's heart. He dropped to his knees in front of me, a single tear fell down his face. I was at his side trying to pull the dagger out and save him in less than a second, but he only managed to slowly reach out for me, pulling me in for a hug. 

"No Drew, you can't leave me. You hear?" I held his face in both of my hands trying to get him to keep his eyes open and look at me. Tears were streaming down my face and I was glad the rain was strong enough to hide that. "Don't die. Drew, please stay with me!"