Chapter 21

Kaylee's P.O.V.

  I must have screamed so loud I passed out because I woke up to an empty cell. Daniel must have wanted me awake for whatever he wanted to do. 

Feeling something warm on my arm, I looked up to find blood dripping from my wrists. The chains cutting deep into my skin. 

How would I ever get out of here? There was no way Elijah could find me here, wherever here was. 

Weak and cold, I leaned my head back and closed my eyes, trying to scream out loud for help in my mind. Who knows, maybe there was no limit to Elijah's mind reading. If I screamed loud enough, would he hear me? 

Elijah's P.O.V.

It was faint, almost a whisper, but I knew it could only be her. 

While I ran through the forest, furiously searching for Kaylee, I heard it. A cry for help. 

Stopping to focus, I closed my eyes. I tried to reach out to her, but someone must have hurt her. I could feel the live draining out of her. 

Immediately, I turned and started running towards the only other place they could have taken her. The basement of a popular hangout spot for vampires.

Kaylee's P.O.V. 

Drifting in and out of consciousness,  I didn't know how long I had been locked up in that cellar, but at some point I heard screams and what sounded like people fighting outside. 

Fighting to stay awake just a bit longer, I slowly pushed myself up onto my legs, swaying a bit due to all the blood I'd lost. 

"You'll never get her. This is it, Daniel." a voice from somewhere down the dark hallway. 

My heart skipped a beat, I could recognize that voice anywhere. Elijah had found me. 

"This isn't over, you can kill me, but that won't mean she's safe." Daniel chuckled evily, sounding out of breath.

Then I heard nothing for a few seconds, until a big thump echoed down the hall, probably a body hitting the ground. 

Before I could process what could have just happened, the door had been kicked open and Elijah was by my side, ripping the chains off my arms and legs. 

The last thing I remember was him pulling his shirt off and trying to stop my wrists from bleeding.

I woke up dazed and confused, blinking rapidly to adjust to the brightness of the room I was in. 

I'd never been in this room before, but I could imagine Elijah living in a place like this. 

Slowly, I made my way out of the bed, towards the bedroom door. I could hear voices coming from some part of the house, so I walked down the stairs as silently as possible. Clearly I hadn't been that quiet because the voices stopped. 

I turned around the corner to what I assumed would be the kitchen and came face to face with Elijah. 

"You shouldn't be out of bed yet, you lost a lot of blood." he reached towards me and lifted me up in his arms. "Let's get you some breakfast." 

Before I could say anything, he was already placing me down on the couch and putting a blanket over my legs. 

"Stay here, don't move." 

Not even 2 seconds later he was by my side again, this time holding a tray with food and orange juice. 

"Eat. We can talk when you're done." he picked up the slice of toast and handed it to me. 

At this point, I couldn't even think clearly over the sounds of my stomach growling, so he didn't have to tell me twice. I took a bite and finished eating in half the time it would usually take for me to eat. Then, I just sat there, not knowing what to say.

"I killed him. You don't have to be afraid anymore, he's gone for good." I looked up at him, still not knowing what to say. "And nobody else will try and hurt you, Drew helped me kill the rest of his guys." 

Slowly, I got off the couch and walked over to the window, arms crossed. 

What was I supposed to say? I'd been here for barely 2 weeks and almost been killed multiple times and gotten dragged into this world where vampires suddenly exist and they're not as great as I thought they'd be. 

I felt Elijah standing behind me, but I couldn't look at him. I was too focused on the wind blowing leafs across the yard and rain pouring down on the pavement.

Without another thought, I turned to look him right in the eyes. "Change me."

That's it, just those two words, they were all I could say.

"Kaylee.."

 I interrupted him mid sentence, "No, I'm serious. Change me. You said you would if I asked you to, and this is the only way I'll feel completely safe. You can't always be here to protect me, and I love you, I do, but I can't stay here if you don't change me." 

He looked at me for a few seconds, not saying anything. 

I almost thought he'd say no and send me on the next plane out of town, but he just sighed, taking my hands in his. 

"If that's what you really want, I'll do it." I squeezed his hands. 

He probably heard my heart skipping beats at that point, but I couldn't help it. 

I knew this was what I wanted, but what if he didn't want me in his life forever?  

"I love you Kaylee, I wouldn't do this if I didn't feel how I do about you. You know I'd do anything for you, right?" he stared into my eyes, almost worried I'd change my mind and get on that plane myself. 

"I want this Elijah. I want you." his smile got even bigger and I could feel myself flush. 

That's when he pulled me closer, his hands on my face, and kissed me like never before. It knocked my breath out of me and made my heart flutter in my chest. 

This was really going to happen. I would become a vampire and nobody would be able to hurt me anymore. I could live happily ever after with Elijah in this beautiful city I loved almost as much as him. 

A/N: I HAVE DONE IT.  I AM BACK. This is the first time I've updated this story in years and I could not be more excited for what's still to come before I get to the game changing finale. 

Thank you so so much for still reading and waiting so patiently. I will never be able to thank you all enough. You have no idea how grateful I am for all the support and love. I can't say this enough. 

I am really looking forward to posting the next chapter tomorrow. 

Can we get to at least 20 comments? Let me know what you think and what else you think might happen. Is there anything you'd still like explained in the story? 

Again, thanks for reading. 

All the love,

Nessa xx