Chapter 22

"You know you can always change your mind, you don't have to do this." Elijah said, seeming nervous. He was running his hands through his hair, making it look quite messy. And still, he looked like he'd just hopped out of a magazine. 

"He gets like this when he's nervous." Drew whispered behind me. "Sometimes he worries too much." 

Elijah was running around my house, making calls to what sounded like airlines or hotels and throwing my things in a suitcase. He wouldn't  tell me where he was taking me or why, and I didn't want to get in the way of whatever it was he was trying to accomplish, so I just stood in the center of my living room, silently watching him move around the room. 

"Do you think this is a good idea, Drew?" 

"Are you kidding me? This is the best thing that could happen. I can't wait to teach you some cool vamp skills. You'll see, it'll be great." he tried to pat me on the shoulder reassuringly. 

I wanted this, maybe Elijah's nervousness was rubbing off on me. Deciding it would be best to get some fresh air, I grabbed my sweater and car keys. 

"Wanna go get something to eat? I'm famished." I looked back at Drew, hoping he'd come along because I really didn't want to go anywhere by myself after everything that happened in the past few days. 

Before I could say anything else, he was already up and had run past me into the garage, my keys suddenly in his hand instead of mine as he headed for the driver's side of my car. 

"You have no idea how long I've waited to drive a car like this!" he grinned like a child on Christmas morning.

I smiled back at him and turned towards the living room but instead nearly tripped straight into Elijah who had quietly snuck up behind me.

"Stay safe, alright. This shouldn't take much longer. When you come back we can head to the cabin." he pulled me closer and kissed my forehead. 

"I will. You hungry? I can bring you some of Betty's soup." 

"Yes, that sounds great right about now. Thanks love." I got up on my tip toes and quickly pecked him on his cheek. 

"Oh, and make sure Drew doesn't drive too fast, that guy has got zero self control when it comes to cars." 

I giggled, "Ok, noted."

I turned and headed for the car, getting in on what would usually be the driver's side. I didn't think I would ever get used to this whole driving on the wrong side thing.

"I think we can make it to Betty's in 4 minutes instead of 10 with this car. Buckle up." Drew winked as he started revving the engine.

"Yeah, I don't think so. Nobody is dying today, so stay under the speed limit please. It's just lunch." 

Drew sighed but agreed, "Fine, but next time we're taking this car out for a real drive and you won't have to worry about dying in crash because you'll be immortal." 

"Deal, now please start driving, I need some of Betty's hot chocolate asap." I patted my growling stomach, and almost as if on cue I shivered, still not quite recovered from all that blood loss. That toast had not satisfied me at all. I could have eaten 10 pieces of toast and still been hungry. 

We arrived at Betty's and parked in the back of the building even though customers didn't have access to this area. 

"Perks of knowing the owner. You don't have to look for a parking spot for hours." Drew was out of the car and at my door in seconds. 

"M'lady." he reached his hand out to me and I took it. 

When we entered the restaurant, I was hit by the scent of Betty's amazing cooking and hot chocolate. I instantly felt warmer and calmer than I had been watching Elijah rushing around my house.