Chapter 3

Gears

I tried to work as quickly as possible to get Emily's car out of the shop. She didn't need it right away, but I still wanted to get rid of it to avoid exactly what just happened.

"Hey, Gears," Emily said as she walked into the workshop.
"The car will be ready soon," I answered her, to which she hummed.

"I'm not just here because of the car," she said as she stood in front of the large roller door.
I lifted my gaze from the tire I switched to her and didn't pay attention to her statement; I just continued working.
"Is it because of me, Gears?" she asked me, obviously hurt.

"No," I answered briefly.
"If it's because I'm Doc's old lady now and you don't trust me...I can suggest someone else. I have good therapists as friends..." she began, which I interrupted her.
"No," I answered again briefly.

"But you should talk about it, Gears," she said, to which I let out a deep breath and stood up.
"Talk about what?" I asked her.

"About...what you want," she said, looking at me worried.

"I don't know what you talked to Dad about...I just know he said you are special to him. Maybe you want to try it with me too," Emily asked tensed.

"I'm good," I replied while I lit a cigarette and looked at Miguel. "I'm taking a break," I said as I walked out of the workshop towards the bar.

I actually thought that Emily understood that I didn't want to talk about anything, but she walked after me.
"I think it would be good for you," she continued as if I was interested in talking.

"I have nothing to say," I answered her.

"Dad would want it," she said, which made me stop, and she followed my actions.

I turned to her and stared angrily into her face.

"Why would he want it, Emily?" I asked, raising my voice significantly.

That's exactly what I wanted to prevent when I left the workshop, and yet everyone who heard me is now staring at us.
Doc must have heard me too as he got up from his front porch and walked in our direction.
He was very protective of her, and I know I was too loud when I spoke to her like that.

"Listen...I don't need your help," I said as I looked around, and Doc's eyes fell on me.

He kind of warned me to stay calm the way he tilted his head, but I knew that without him playing her guard, I would never ever hurt a woman. I would never hurt the daughter of the man who saved me.

"I know Dad liked you a lot. You were the only one he continued to have regular therapy even after he retired," she said quietly. "If you could come to me and we talk..." she began, to which I raised my hand to show her to stop.

"I can't tell everything again, Emily...I just can't do it," I said to her as Doc came to us.

"Everything OK?" he asked, looking from Emily to me.

"I'm here for you, he would have wanted it," Emily said to me.

"Everything is just great," I answered Doc and turned around, walking into the bar.

I don't know if Doc stopped her or if she realized on her own that I didn't want her help after the hundredth time she offered.
I was sitting at the counter and swallowing the shot in one gulp when I saw Duke coming down the stairs.
I just rolled my eyes and expected that baby shit from him again, but he just sat next to me and showed the prospect to pour him one.

"You know she just wants to help you," he said, to which I turned to leave, but he grabbed my wrist, and I looked at his hand.

"Do you want to come with me?" he asked me, and I looked at him questioningly.
"What?...where?" I asked, confused.