Chapter 19

Gears

It's terrible when you can't do anything but wait. I was desperate and crazy worrying about Lilly. Being so helpless and just having to wait was the worst kind of torture imaginable. Who knows where they are and how they are doing. Are they even still alive?
I clenched my fists at the thought that Lilly could be dead. The pain in my chest was unbearable, it was eating me up.

Storm and Ace took care of everything once we knew where Duke and Lilly are, they loaded up the SUV and prepared everything. Weapons and equipment were all already ready.
King worked with Tom and Void to learn a little more about Bruce, but so far there was nothing.
The FBI confiscated cameras, videos were watched to find out something. But so far they only had a few pictures of the van driving from Irvine. If Duke were here he would come up with a brilliant plan and we would already be one step further, but he is not here. He, just like Lily, is waiting for us, waiting to be rescued, and we didn't even know where to look.
They hoped the girl would know something, help in some kind of way. She was his sister, maybe she knew something no one did. But the girl kept silent.
Ink was the only one who seemed to be able to talk to the girl, so Tom and King let him do the talking. Maybe she had some information that could help us, something that could give us a lead... anything.

I had to stay away; King ordered me to because I was scaring her.
And I can't blame her, I was scared of myself too.

"King took her to the safe house. So she wouldn't be so scared," said Miguel, who has been by my side the whole time.

We were sitting in my house where King sent me to calm down, and I've been sitting there for two days. I can't eat or sleep, all I do is worry about Lilly.

"I just made it worse," I replied.

"Yeah, you messed up," he replied to me, to which I looked at him. "The girl is a victim of abuse herself," he added.

I shook my head at my behavior, I should have been able to control myself better. If the girl was being abused herself, then my behavior towards her was traumatizing. No wonder she won't speak.
We've been looking for Lilly and Duke for two days now, without success. We've already turned over everything we knew about Bruce: his friends he used to have, the places he loved, people he knew... and nothing.

Not only could we find nothing on him... we had no lead on Duke and Lilly. No GPS, nothing. I should have given her the Bracelet Erin made and not kept it for our date.
The date that never happened, and I wonder if I will ever see her again. I wanted to tell her about my life in the community, our work, and explain the meaning of the Bracelet. But I never got the opportunity...

"Gears," I heard Ivy's voice as she came into my house.

I looked up at her as I sat on the floor in the hallway and sighed.
She held her hand protectively over her baby bump and looked at me desperately.

"I'm sorry Ivy," I said quietly. "They still have nothing," I added.

She took a deep breath and closed the door behind her.
"I haven't told father anything yet... I know she wouldn't want me to," I heard her say.

I just nodded understandably; I know she wouldn't want it either.
"I have to ask you for something," she said, to which I looked at her. "The girl... King doesn't want me to talk to her. But... I think if I come to her..." she began, causing Miguel to move away from us.

"You know that you can't get anything by force?" he asked us.

"I just want to talk Miguel... Lilly is my sister," she said to him, and he let out a deep breath.

"I know that King and Tom are planning a conversation where we're supposed to be there. To fill us in, plan the next steps... and Ink will be the only one staying with the girl. If I leave the house now to go to the bar... I don't know anything," Miguel said, to which Ivy and I looked at each other.