Chapter 4

Lilly

I first saw Gears as we rolled our suitcases toward the exit.
He stood leaning against the wall with his 6 feet something and talked to Duke. The jeans and white shirt he was wearing were perfect on his muscular body and his hair fell to his shoulders.
I was obviously staring way too hard, which even Ruby noticed.

"Jesus Christ, if everyone looks so good here then it's a good vacation already," said Ruby, laughing.
"These are the guys we're going to," I explained to her, to which she accelerated.
"No shit...damn girl, you're literally drooling," I heard her say, laughing.

"Shut up, Ruby," I told her while she giggled.

"And what the fuck are we waiting for?" I heard Gear's deep voice ask as he looked at Duke, who was looking after a woman.
"I think I'm the fuck," I replied without really thinking about what that might sound like.
Did I really say that now?!

Ruby's laugh could be heard as he turned to look at me.
His eyes looked over my body and locked onto mine, and he seemed surprised when he saw me.
Duke took me in his arms and hugged me when he saw me, a real hug not one of his come-ons but just pure joy.
I was still looking at Gears as Duke lifted me slightly into the air and set me down again.
Ruby and Duke seemed to hit it off immediately even though it was their first time meeting each other, and I felt a little shy of Gears when they talked about us.
I expected him to say something to silence them, but he didn't.
He just looked at me, which only made me more nervous.
My heart was pounding as he just looked at me and his eyebrows shot up at Duke and Ruby's comments.

He didn't say anything until Duke and Ruby walked forward to the car, and he took my bags.
"You have a lot of shit with you," he said as he looked at my suitcases.
"A girl needs this and that," I replied, smiling.
What was I supposed to say... these are all my things because I'm moving out of home?
"You don't have to carry them," I added, a little embarrassed about it all.
"You're going to break your legs in those things," he replied as he looked over my legs to my heels.
As he walked ahead, I took a deep breath following him. He smelled so good, it was poisonous to my senses.

He opened the door of Duke's car for me and followed me with his eyes as I got in. Ruby and Duke seemed like old friends as they laughed and chatted.
I noticed Gears looking at me and turned my head to him smiling until Duke asked me what was wrong.

It's shameful to talk about, and especially I didn't want any of the drama before Gears to be told.
He will think that I was completely incapable of taking care of myself.
He saved me from that sniper back then. I remember it clearly. When he grabbed me and protected me with his body. He took the bullet for me - luckily he had a bulletproof vest on him. But I still wouldn't have been there, I'm sure be dead.

He even found Remy after all the excitement and brought her back to me. Remy was so much more to me than just a dog. She was my therapy to heal my heart that was now beating like crazy when I thought about it and about Remy missed so much.
When I was looking for my Remy one morning, Bane told me that father had given her to someone. I was beside myself for a while after the whole thing, and he didn't feel like taking care of the yapping mutt, as he said.
I was heartbroken, but he didn't seem to care.

I looked out the window deep in thought, and the sun was shining on my face. I closed my eyes and breathed out deeply. You got this, Lilly.
After a while, the car came to a stop in front of a huge gate, and I turned my gaze forward. I felt Gear's gaze on me, which I tried to ignore, but I swallowed nervously as I looked at him.
His eyes looked over my face, and his jaw tensed before he got out of the car as Duke pulled up to the gate.

"Where the fuck are you going?" Duke asked him as he slammed the door and continued on foot.
Ruby and Duke looked at me, and I shrugged, and Duke shook his head.