Chapter 14

Lilly

"Ok... I think that's it for today. Thanks for your help Lilly," I heard Doc say as I was pulled out of my thoughts.

My first day in Doc's small clinic went quickly, and I got along very well with him. He was very kind and patient with me. Not that I needed help with the patient, I just had to find out how he works and where everything was stored.

"No problem, Doc," I answered quietly.

"Is everything ok? Was it too much for you?" He asked as he took off his scrubs and looked at me.

"No... it's not about that," I replied.

Elijah and I had a lot to talk about yesterday. I was so sad when I found out what was bothering him... I knew the story, there was even a documentary about it on TV... Without the names of the children. But now I knew the names... and everything that wasn't shown and told on TV.

Elijah showed me the scars he had, the physical ones he will carry for the rest of his life... and the mental ones that still plague him. The lifeless body of the approximately 5-year-old boy was found in the basement. Scratch marks on the wall showed that the boy fought until his death... I remembered what was said. Jesus Christ! The child tormentors of Illinois were what this couple was called. Although they received life sentences, they both took their own lives shortly after the verdict. The only survivor lives a quiet life today, they said... Quiet? He blamed himself for the death of his siblings... he even told me he killed them. He did not kill them, he just felt like he did because he couldn't save them.

I took a deep breath and glanced at Doc, who was looking at me with concern. The only thing I knew was that I couldn't be any support to Elijah as long as I didn't get my act together. And my problems seemed childish in comparison to what was bothering him.

"Doc... can I ask you something but keep it between us?" I asked him, and he looked at me questioningly.

"You know Gear's story?" I asked, and he looked at me tensely.

"Not from him... I've heard things," he answered.
He looked over my face and crossed his arms over his chest.

"You and Gears?" He asked, to which I nodded.

"Damn, I didn't see that coming," he said, laughing.

"We haven't made it official yet," I explained.

"I'm not laughing at you, but at Duke. He told us yesterday that he smells a new ol' lady. I wonder how he always knows that," Doc explained to me.

"Well..." I started, but he interrupted me.

"I think you should talk to Emily," he said, nodding towards the upstairs.

"She's certainly busy," I replied, to which he shook his head.

"I think she'll be happy to help you. Come on," added Doc as he opened the door to their apartment.

I followed shamefully and looked at Emily, who was lying on the couch.
"Lilly," she said worriedly as she sat up.

"Yeah Hi... I think I need help," I replied.

Doc was a really great man who had a lot of understanding, and so he left us alone and went for a walk with Piper. I roughly explained to Emily what it was about, but she grimaced and shook her head. "I can't talk to you about Gears," she said.

"You don't have to talk about him. I just don't know what to do to be of help," I replied sadly, to which she placed her hand on mine and smiled at me.

"Trust me, you're doing everything right. Talk a lot, even about your feelings. Be there for him, and allow him to be there for you. You can't do anything wrong if you love someone," she replied.