Chapter 7

Gears

It's been three days since Lily and Ruby have been with us. I buried myself in work and took on far more orders than I actually wanted. The more I worked, the less time I had to think. I don't know what it is about her but I can't get her out of my head and it messed me up. I was angry about all the hype for her, the constant talk about what a nice woman she is, and especially when someone mentioned how pretty she is. As if I didn't know all that!

"King brought her to the bar last night," Miguel said to me, and I looked at him questioningly. "Whom?" I asked.

"Lily...Ivy's sister. He brought her to introduce her to everyone. But you would know that too if you worked less," he said, to which I rolled my eyes.

I tried to avoid her, I don't know why, but I felt the need not to see her. "Luckily at least my workshop is spared from the hype," I said as I went back to repairing the car.

"I wouldn't be so sure about that," Miguel replied, to which I looked at him as he nodded outside and smiled.

I followed his gaze and saw Lily walking in our direction. She's just passing... she's just passing. "Hi Lily," I heard Miguel say.

Shit! "Hi," she replied, to which I just continued working. "Do you need something?" he asked her.

"Yeah...I need him for a few minutes," she replied, to which I turned to her still under the hood. She looked at me smiling, and I looked from her to Miguel, who was also looking at me.

As I tried to stand up, I banged my head against the hood and hissed, causing her to grimace and look at me worriedly.

"Are you okay?" she asked as I rubbed my head.

"What do you want?" I asked her, ignoring her question.

"Do you have some time?" she asked me.

"No," I answered briefly and went into the office room to look at my head.

What is it with these women that just followed me. First Doc's woman and now her. She followed me and watched as I wiped the blood that was on my hand.

"Let me see," she said as she stood next to me.
"No," I said, whereupon she took the first aid kit from my hand and opened it. She tore open the wrapping of the bandage with her pearly white teeth and poured the alcohol over it.

"Don't be a baby," she said as she turned me towards her, and I glanced down at her. "You have to sit down, I'm not that tall," she said as she looked back at me.

I dropped on the chair, and she stood between my legs dabbing at the wound. Her proximity only made me more nervous, and I looked to the side so as not to look at her. She smelled like cotton candy and flowers, and it irritated me.

"It's not deep but maybe Doc should take a look at it," I heard her say as she pushed my chin up to get a better look. My eyes found hers, and she stopped briefly only to look at my head again. Her hair was put up in a bun, and loose wavy strands framed her pretty face. She blew on the wound after she cleaned it, and I froze as she did that.

My hands grabbed her waist, and I pushed her back to stand. As I stood up, I looked at her dress after letting my hands fall to my sides. There were my handprints on her white summer dress, which were stained dirty by the grease from work.

She followed my gaze and smiled.
"I'm sorry," I said, to which she shook her head.
"It's ok, Gears," she said to me. "It's not bleeding anymore," she added as she looked over my forehead.

"What do you want?" I asked, and her eyes snapped to mine.
"I wanted to ask you when you have time," she said, to which I shook my head.
"I have a lot of work," I replied as I went back into the workshop, and she followed me.