Chapter 10

Lilly

"What? No goodnight kiss?" Ivy asked with a grin as I looked after Elijah.

"It's not like that. We didn't go on a date. We just spent time together," I replied as I walked to the front porch where she and King were sitting.

"Yeah, right...except Gears doesn't spend time with anyone," King said, to which Ivy nodded.

My smile was telltale when I received Elijah's message and grinned.
"Oh, look at you," I heard Ivy enthuse.

I rolled my eyes, at which they both laughed loudly, and went into my room. Ruby was probably still out with Duke and I threw myself on the bed and smiled.
I've never felt so good in my life just from talking to Elijah. Whatever they say, he talks to me, he spends time with me. I picked up my phone and called him.
His laugh sounded so good I was grinning the whole time, and when we ended the call, I was pretty nervous.
He said he's never been on a date...I hope I don't disappoint him.

I dreamed about him that evening, and when I woke up the next day, I was happier than I had been for a long time.
Doc and Emily invited me to breakfast to discuss tomorrow when I start helping.

"You can start tomorrow at 8 and help me until 12. That would be a big help. Duke and your girlfriend are sleeping until noon anyway, then you still have time to do something," said Doc friendly.

"Thank you, doc," I replied quietly. "Do you need any of my papers?" I added.

"Oh no, I've already taken care of that, don't worry," he replied.

"What do you mean?" I asked confused.

"Your father's new doctor sent me everything when I asked the old Doc," he explained, to which I stared at him.

"They know I'm here now?" I asked, surprised.

"Yes...is that a problem? That's actually the procedure in our MC," Doc said, to which Emily looked at me questioningly.

"No...no problem," I answered quietly.

I didn't think to ask Doc not to say anything to Dad. Now he not only knows I'm here, but he thinks I'm bringing shame on him again.
"Are you all right?" Emily asked.

"Yeah...I'm sorry, I'm a little..." I started before she put her hand on mine, and I looked up at her.

"I hope you know that Doc is really happy to accept your help," she replied to me, to which I nodded.

"Sure, I am, I'm alone here, Lilly. I just didn't want your father to get angry. His doctor might be alone now, I just didn't want there to be any problems between us," he explained.

"Oh, don't worry...I was never allowed to help our doc much," I explained, to which Emily looked at me with a frown.

"What? Why? I saw you, you did a damn good job," Doc added.

"Well, thanks. Dad doesn't think my place is there," I said, to which Emily exhaled sternly.

"You're always welcome to help here," Doc told me, to which I smiled.

"Thank you," I answered him.

My eyes kept falling to my phone, and I hoped to hear something from Elijah, but nothing came.
I didn't see him in the workshop either, and when Alice suggested going to the beach, I came along, not because of me but because of Ruby, with whom I wanted to spend a few more days before she left for Alaska.
I sat on the beach and watched the women jump through the water, and Ivy sunbathed her baby, as she called it.
Duke dropped down next to me and turned to me.