Chapter 6

Lilly

The first thing Ivy did the next morning was take me and Ruby to King's parents.
I asked Duke for Gears' phone number yesterday, and he laughed at me when he said he lived just a few doors down.
"Just go there," he said, to which I shook my head.
He teased me the whole evening about it and I thought about Gears as we were sitting with Evelyn and John. I felt stupid for sending him the message so soon and for him leaving me on seen.
I should have gotten used to being ignored; Dad had been doing that for years. But with Gears, it was just embarrassing.

"So you're a nurse?" Evelyn asked enthusiastically.

"Yes, I am... Ivy told me you are one too," I replied, and she nodded.
"Yup... I'm absolutely useless. If I were as smart as Lilly, I could help you and Doc," Ivy said, and I looked at her.

"You need help here?" I asked her, to which she nodded.
"Yeah, Doc is busy and Evelyn is actually retired, but she's helping him since he's alone at the moment," she explained to me.

"You can help Lilly," Ruby suggested, which is what I was thinking too. A little work wouldn't hurt me since Dad didn't allow me to do almost anything anyway.

"Maybe Doc doesn't want it... our doctor didn't want my help either," I said quietly.

"Nonsense... Doc will be happy that someone is helping him. You should go to him and ask," John suggested with a smile.

After breakfast  Evelyn invited us to, I asked Ivy to accompany me to the Doc, and she was happy to do so. We walked down the street, and I looked at the workshop where a man was working inside. He looked up at us and greeted friendly.
" That's Miguel..he just got patched in" ivy explained and I nodded.
Gears was nowhere to be seen.

"Where are you going?" I heard Duke ask as he came out of the clubhouse.

"To Doc... Lilly wants to work," Ivy announced, full of pride. Unlike Dad, who didn't take me seriously.
She was all the way my biggest support.When I thought I couldn't do it ,she was the one who encouraged me to stay and try it.

"That's great; when you're done, come to the bar, we'll wait for you," said Duke as he and Ruby stood in front of it.

I rubbed my hands together nervously as we waited for Doc, who had a patient. Emily invited us in, and we sat on the couch in her living room.

"Piper honey, we have guests," she called, and small footsteps could be heard. Little Piper shrieked happily when she saw me and ran into my embrace.

"Lilly!" She exclaimed happily, which made us all laugh. "Where is Remy?" She asked, to which I forced a smile.
"At home," I lied, as she pouted.

I missed the little girl I loved very much and listened with interest as she talked about school.
She was so smart and mature for her age, I enjoyed listening to her.

"What's up?" Doc asked as he came into the room, taking off his gown.
"Lilly wanted to ask you if you needed help," Emily said, and he looked at me.

"Seriously?" He asked me, and I looked at him nervously.
"I just thought... well, I'll stay here for a month. Maybe you could use some help," I suggested.

My fear of rejection disappeared when Doc smiled at me and nodded his head.
"Oh, you would really do me a huge favor," he announced happily.

"Really?" I asked in surprise.

"Of course, Lilly... I'm happy if you want that," he answered me. Ivy looked at me proudly and clapped her hands happily.

"You won't get her until Wednesday," she said, to which he nodded.
"Thank you, Lilly," he said to me as we wanted to leave.
He thanked me for wanting to help him, he accepted it, and didn't question or doubt me.
I was as shocked as much as I was happy.