Chapter 36: Agitation

Fan art by @Zoe_is_a_hood thanks! It's Bailey and Michael I believe!
-

Luke

8:00 A.M

Terrified. Horrified. Confused. Angry.

If I was asked to describe how I feel right now, those words would be the first of many to come to mind. I know in my heart why we have to go back tonight, we have to avenge those kids, but my courage is starting to fade.

Ashton and Calum have already gone home and left Michael and I. We agreed that I would be staying at his place until tonight, because his parents weren't home so they wouldn't ask questions. I still can't believe I agreed to go back to that haunted hell hole.

The idea of a sixth night seemed harmless enough when we made the deal, just a way to earn some overtime. Now I'm in way too deep and its impossible to back out. My friends already think I'm a wimp, backing out would probably just add insult to injury.

However, being the scared blonde boy I am, I end up trying to get out of it anyway.

"H-Hey, Michael?" I start timidly, biting down hard on my chapped bottom lip.

"What?" Michael snaps, opening the front door to his house and heading inside.

One thing about Michael is, if he's sleep deprived, you really should not irritate the guy. I mean, he already has a short fuse in general.

"I need to ask you something..." I mumble half to myself as he gets a drink of water from the kitchen.

"I'm all ears." He sighs tiredly, taking a small sip of his drink.

"Do..." I hesitate, and Mike looks up at me and raises a brow, so I sigh before continuing, "do we have to go back again tonight...?"

Michael pauses for a moment before putting down his glass, before walking over to me, having to look up because I'm really than him, (he says he's taller, but that's a lie, obviously).

"Look, Luke," he starts in a surprisingly calm voice, "I know you're worried about this, but nothing is going to happen. If we see Vincent, we can give him what he deserves-"

"Murder, Michael. You're taking about murder, here." My voice is barely there.

"If he comes at us, like he did to those kids, we have to defend ourselves Luke, do you understand that?" His voice drops low, dripping with total seriousness.

"We should just stay here. You'll be safe, I'll be safe, we'll be safe!" I plead, nervousness plain in my tone.

"We promised those kids, Luke." Michael raises his voice.

"We promised ghosts, Michael." I correct him, causing him to narrow his eyes. Okay, maybe that sounded a little harsh.

"I don't break promises." He hisses, folding his arms over his chest, "And you agreed to this."

"I just don't want to see my friends die like those kids did!" Now I'm the one raising my voice, "I'm afraid, and I know you all think I'm a wimp, but-!"

"I never called you that Luke. But right now, you're sure acting like a coward, running away from your fears." His voice his even and his words impact in the ways he meant them to: to cause guilt.

"I'm not a coward." I shoot back.

"Then stop acting like one." Michael snaps, walking past me and upstairs.
He slams the door to his room shut before I can respond.

So much for that.

3:00 p.m.

"...you're sure acting like a coward..."

I tried to take a nap, but sleep is an unreachable goal. Michael's words keep ringing in my ears as I lay facing the ceiling on the couch. I haven't moved in hours.

I'm starving, but the fear clutching my stomach makes it impossible to eat. I just lay still, thinking about all the possibilities of what could happen tonight, and none of them seem to have a totally positive outcome.

One: we accomplish our goal, Vincent is no more, and the souls are freed. Then what? Vincent will be dead, and we'll be responsible.

Two: we're unsuccessful, but make it out alive. What about those kids? Michael's right, we promised...

Three: Absolute worst case scenario. Vincent wins, and we become like those kids: alone and rotting in the restaurant.

That last one makes my stomach churn.

Michael walks downstairs, barely casting a glance towards me. He has a small backpack in his hand. I watch as he fills out with flashlights, batteries, and a left over spray bottle. The last object he places in the bag scares me the most: a large kitchen knife.

It's raining outside.

11:00 p.m.

Michael hasn't said a word since our argument this morning. This only adds to my anxiety.

I haven't spoken to him either, but that's not my point.

He shrugs his small backpack over his shoulder and heads over the front door. Both of us have changed into black sweatshirts and sweats, going with the assumption they will hide us in the dark.

I follow him to the door, his truck is parked outside. We agreed the gas would be worth it because if something did happen to us, our car would be at the restaurant tomorrow and Ashton and Calum would put the clues together.

The drive is equally as silent, and my nerves grow the closer we get, filling me up by the time we reach the ominous restaurant.

Michael parks the car and takes out the key, but he doesn't exit the vehicle. I raise a brow at him, the rain rapping against the windshield.

"Luke." He finally breaks the hours long silence, "I want you to know right now that no matter what happens tonight, I'll have your back. You understand."

I nod, swallowing hard.

"And I'll be right by your side." I promise, and he nods slowly as well, taking a deep breath.

His words make me feel some form of comfort, although it's not much.

"Well...let's do this shiz." He chuckles weakly, stepping out of the car and into the pouring rain, tugging his hood up.

I follow him out of the truck and into the cold restaurant, not once looking back.

-

Dun dun dun...

Well, again sorry it was short but I wanted to update for you guys!!!

IM SO EXCITED FOR SOUNDS LIVE FEELS LIVE IM MOST LIKELY GOING!!

IS ANYONE ELSE???

Thank you for reading!!