Chapter 39: Anxiety

Bby Lucas fanart by @Here-Yee-Here-Yee. THANK YOU I LOVE IT

Please read author's note at the end of the chapter!!! It's important!!
-

Ashton

I shoot awake, drenched in sweat, my heart pounding as I glance around my room. I struggle for a moment to calm my breathing.

Just a stupid dream.

A creepy, morbid dream, but just a dream.

I glance at the clock, groaning when I see it's already 7:30 in the morning. I have to leave for that stupid party in and hour and 45 minutes.

I sigh and swing my feet over the side of the bed and groggily walk to the bathroom.

It's raining hard again, the sound pounding against my roof.

I almost forget that Luke never called me last night.

-

"You aren't even the slightest bit worried about them, Ashton?" Calum asks in the car on the way to the pizzeria, "Especially after they didn't call?"

"Look, Cal, I'm sure they just passed out as soon as they got home. Let's not worry until there's something to worry about." I assure him, wiping my tired eyes.

"Something isn't right, Ashton, I can feel it..." He murmurs under his breath.

"Well, I suppose we'll see then..." I
mutter in response, going that Calum is wrong and our friends are safe.

The pizza place is lit up and mockingly cheerful even we get there, making me cringe when I look at it. The party will stay at noon but Luke said something about setting up the party as well as running it, and most importantly, keeping the kids safe.

We hurry up out of the car and to the building, but it doesn't stop us from getting soaked. We had forgotten our uniforms in the office two nights before, so we needed to change anyway.

Calum and I get inside quickly, and seeing no one inside, head to the back of the restaurant to the office. Our shoes create an annoying speaking sound as they glide across the floor.

I keep a sharp eye out for anything as we walk through the hallway, but I see nothing but ripped drawings and posters. Where they ripped like that the last time I was here?

Shaking the thought off, I continue down the hall after Calum, my uneasy feeling growing.

"There's our uniforms."  Cal says, grabbing them off their hooks and handing one to me, "You feeling okay, Ash?"

"Yeah..." I nod, groaning when a drop of water hits me in the eye.

I look up to see the source: a small  leak in the ceiling. I'm sure that's not the only one in the building. Hopefully we won't be the ones asked to fix them.

I quickly pull the purple jacket over my shirt, fixing the badge over the pocket. Calum copies my actions silently.

"Don't you think it's a little strange that we were asked to be on day shift all of a sudden?" Calum asks after a few moments.