Chapter 1: Getting the Job

Ashton

The pizza place looked run down from the outside, letters from the sign above were falling off, the paint was chipped, and one of the windows was cracked. Inside however, the restaurant was painted bright colors, kids squealed and ran around us, and the place seemed in good shape.

Some of the children crowded around a large bunny that was bright blue and wore clown makeup. I notice others standing around a Prize Counter. These kids screamed in delight when a weird looking puppet thing popped out of a present and gave them a prize.

"That pizza smells really good." Michael says as he inhales deeply.

"We're not here for the pizza, Michael." Luke groans.

"Still." Michael laughs.

We make our way to the back of the restaurant, past all the kids. We enter a hall passing a sign that read "To the Office."

Inside the office is a long desk with a few chairs behind it. A small electric fan is the only source of Air Conditioning. It is really hot in here.

There is no hallway, just the long hallway we had just came through. Children's drawings are tacked to the walls of the office. All of the pictures seemed to have similar inspiration: all showed a child with a robot.

These pictures put me on edge. All of the kids had drawn them in such a way that all the robots have dead black eyes. It makes me shudder as I look at them.

"You kids looking for the job?" A voice says from the hallway, making all four of us jump.

My heart slows down as I take in the man who spoke.

"Sorry boys, I didn't mean to scar you." The man laughs.

He's wearing a purple uniform with a badge above his pocket. On the pocket reads FFPS. A patch on his shoulder reads "Security."

"That's okay," Luke speaks up, "and yes, we want the job."

The man smiles. His smile is creepy, I don't like it.

"Great, the more the better." He says happily, "I'm the head of security, nice to meet you. I'm so glad you're interested, our last guard went a bit, you know, koo-koo." He rotates his finger around his head as he explains.

I look at my friends with an uneasy feeling my stomach. All of us look at the man in confusion.

"What do you mean by that?" Michael asks.

The guard just laughs, and laughs, and laughs. The four of us back up a little, now weary of this man and the job at hand.

"This ol' place does get a bit creepy at night, boys." He explains when he finally stops laughing.

"So? Was he scared of the dark?" Calum snickers.

"I suppose you could say that." The guard says, "He started to hallucinate."

Well that certainly doesn't sound good.

"Did he, um, mention what he 'saw'?" Luke asks in a worried tone.

The guard sighs, "He mentioned noises, these posters changing on the wall, shadows of the robots in that corner over there. Things like that."

"Sounds like he was tired or something." Calum shrugs.

"That's what the staff thought. When he resigned, after he finished his required five nights, he was laughing like a maniac and skipping for joy." The guard says.

"What was the guard's name?" I ask.

"His name was Jeremy Fitzgerald." The man says.

The name of the guard rings a bell but I can't seem to place where I heard it before.

"I hope you boys won't freak out like that." The guard chuckles.

"You mean, we got the job?" Michael asks excitedly.

"If you want it, you got it boys." The guard smiles.

"No experience needed?" I inquire.

"Nope. Not as long as you know how to work cameras."

"We accept!" The four of us exclaim.

"Great, you'll start on Monday, and your shift starts at midnight and ends at six a.m. Let me show you the cameras" he leads us over to the desk.

He picks up a small tablet off of the desk and hands it to me. He presses the On button at the top and the screen flickers on.

"This will show you all the rooms in the joint." He explains, "On the side there, is a layout of Freddy Fazbear's. Simply tap any room you want to look at. Oh and tap the other side to turn on a light in the room you're looking at." He shows us this as he speaks, "That's pretty much it, simple."

"Seems easy enough." I agree.

"Okay boys, welcome to the Fazbear family! A day shift security guard will be contacting you at the start of your shifts to give you some tips. See you boys Monday!"

We left the place feeling confident in ourselves, but we should've known to never come back into Freddy Fazbear's Pizzeria.