Chapter 4: Night One: 2 a.m.

Ashton

"Maybe this wasn't such a good idea." Calum moans, running his fingers through his hair, "I'm scared right now, and I never get scared!"

"Shut up Calum, you're terrified of everything!" Michael hisses while pacing through the office.

I meanwhile, am trying to wind the music box as often as I can. I'm becoming paranoid about it because I don't want to find out what happens if it runs out. But is it even helping anything?! All the robots are still moving!

The bear and the chicken still waited outside our door, the bunny had left somewhere where I couldn't find him, the broken one was still in Kidz Cove.

"What did he mean by 'the one who laughs?'" Luke asks, rereading the warning note.

"I'm more concerned about the 'Goldie is real' part." Michael shudders.

I flip to another camera, hardly listening. I haven't checked this camera before now, and I wish I hadn't.

There on the feed, the feed of the Storage Room, are old, moldy, and terrifying looking robots. I can see a lifeless bear head, and a faceless dark bunny slouched over in a heap.

"Guys, look at this." I call them over.

"What?" Luke asks, dropping the note and hurrying over.

I point at the screen and show the boys what I saw.

"Ugh, why do they look like that? They look like someone died in them!" Michael gags.

"That's only a head!" Calum points at the corner of the screen.

"They must use these old things for parts." I shrug.

"Why else would they keep those?" Mikey demands, "They look possessed or something."

"I-" I don't get to finish.

"Hello!" A high pitched voice cuts through the room like a knife.

"Who said that?" I demand.

"Not us Ashton." Luke whimpers.

"Hi!" The same voice calls again.

"Ashton?" Michael says in an accusing tone.

"That was not me." I insist.

Then, a shrill laughter echoes through the building. It bounces off the walls and turns my blood to ice.

"Is t-that a kid?!" Luke demands.

"The one that laughs..." Mikey trails off.

I hear a faint creaking and thudding to the left side of me and the boys. I look over and see nothing but one of the vents.

"What is that noise coming from?" I ask the boys.

"Ashton," Calum warns as he flicks on the vent light, "check this vent in your camera."

Fighting the nauseating feeling in the pit of my stomach, I check the camera, but not before winding the box. I take a deep breath and check the left vent. I nearly drop the tablet at the sight.

There, staring right back at me, is a child-like robot with a blue and red striped hat on his head and a matching shirt on its body. It is chubby, with a roundish stomach and it's frozen in place.

"C-Calum, move away from there." I commend him in a whisper.

He backs up from the vent cautiously, his eyes wide and never leaving the vent.