Chapter 2

"Where is he?" Brianna asked me - as if I'd know.

     "I don't know," I replied.

     She exhaled angrily, but didn't say anything. I looked around awkwardly for her boyfriend, in hopes of pleasing her. The room was filled with the rich landlords and their families across our country of Imperial. Every one of them looked snobby though, so I didn't bother interacting with anyone. I doubt Brianna would let me anyways.

     After twenty minutes, Brianna suddenly squealed. I looked at her surprised, and saw that she was staring with a lovesick expression to the right of me. My eyes drifted to where she was looking at, and I became surprised. A guy who looked like the definition of a male model was walking towards us. Immediately I then realized it must be Brianna's boyfriend. She was right about him being handsome.

     The guy had dark brown hair that was swept up neatly. His skin was somewhat tanned too, which enhanced his emerald green eyes. Every part of him was also well defined, and I couldn't help but imagine how it would be like to kiss his fine lips. Obviously I pushed those thoughts away. He was my masters boyfriend; completely off limits.

     "Who is she?" he asked as soon as he approached Brianna.

     He didn't look my way, so I wasn't sure if I should be pleased that he was curious about me. It seemed like he had that snobbish persona that many of these people had.

     "My maid," Brianna replied quickly, dismissing my presence. "Where have you been?"

     "Traffic," he said calmly. "Sorry princess."

     Brianna then smiled as he leaned in. Their lips met in a second and I awkwardly looked away. Public displays of affection had always bothered me.

     After a minute, he pulled away. Finally he looked at me.

     Without any expression, he said, "I'm Donovan. Son of Richard, the landlord of Mariah."

      I nodded awkwardly, not knowing if I should respond. Donovan didn't seem pleased with the idea of welcoming me. He seemed pretty stuck up by the way he stood so prideful and so polished that it was bothersome. So, I decided not to reply.

     "That's Alanna, my maid," Brianna said again, acting like that was all I was.

     That was when I realized something. It seemed like I wasn't a person anymore, just a so called maid. Now I understood why maids hated their jobs so much. It wasn't the chores involved in the job, it was the you're-not-good-enough feelings.

     Donovan simply nodded and then took Brianna's arm. Her cheeks instantly flushed and if I didn't hate her, I would have admitted she was acting cute around him. Funny what love could do to girls. I didn't know from personal experience, but I'd seen it often enough.

     "Come maid," Brianna demanded once she was a meter away from me.

     Sighing tiredly, I followed her. This was definitely going to be a long night.

*****

     I was watching Donovan and Brianna ballroom dance from afar with both interest and boredom. The way they flowed across the room was almost majestic, which kept me eyes glued onto them. However, I wished I could replace Brianna's spot. That made me feel shallow though. Nothing about Donovan's personality attracted me. It was just his looks that kept me dreaming.

     "Hello there."

     I turned around to where I heard the voice. Turned out it belonged to a boy around my age. He was blond and blue-eyed - just as gorgeous as Brianna. Almost as much as Donovan.