Chapter 12

A week had passed since I met Brianna's dad, and Brianna had only been working me harder by asking me to clean her entire room and wash every single one of her thousand dollar dresses by hand. This time I had no idea why she was treating me like this. Donovan and I hadn't spoken ever since our day together, and I hadn't done anything to disobey her. My hate for her only grew because of that.

     Thankfully, there was a ball being held. It was a ball being held for the marriage of Lily, the daughter of the landlord of Mia, and Eric, the new landlord of Trillion. Their wedding had been held yesterday, and now they were celebrating it with a ball held in Leonardo's mansion. I was thankful for it because it meant Brianna would be preoccupied with other rich people, giving me time to relax as I stood off to the side. All I had to do was get her ready, which was what I was doing with Lea.

     "Ouch!" Brianna exclaimed, glaring up at me. "You burnt me."

     "No I didn't," I said tiredly. "I'm curling the hair at the back of your head."

     I saw her roll her eyes from the mirror that stood in front of where she was seated. "Yeah, you burnt the back of my head."

     Too tired to argue, I said, "Sorry princess, my mistake."

     She grinned evilly. "You aren't forgiven, but just finish my hair quickly. Donovan will be here soon."

     I did exactly that, but for the fact that I wanted to finish quickly and leave her presence. Lea seemed equally as tired as she painted Brianna's toenails with red nail polish. I was thankful that for this ball I would have Lea at my side.

     "Okay, I'm done," Lea said, getting up. "Is there anything else you'd like me to do?"

     "No, you can relax until Alanna's done. It might take a while because she's a slow worker."

     Unlike me, Brianna seemed to somewhat like Lea. She never gave her bothersome chores and rarely insulted her. Sometimes I felt insulted by that, but then I remembered the fact that I was going behind her back with her boyfriend. Even though we weren't doing anything wrong, it still felt wrong.

     "Okay," Lea said, standing off to the side.

     I looked at Lea and rolled my eyes, thankful Brianna was too busy staring at her nails. Lea rolled her eyes back at me. She was officially my best friend at this point.

     "Okay Alanna, you're done," Brianna said tiredly.

     I let go of her hair and it fell gracefully around her shoulders. A part of me felt envious of her hair. It was such a rich blonde you'd think it was dyed. It was also healthier than my hair had ever been, and I didn't even use heat on my hair

     Brianna got up and twirled around in her golden dress that had diamonds placed on the bust of it. It was formfitting at the top, but it flowed out beautifully at the end, reminding me of Belle's dress from Beauty and the Beast. For this event I knew her intentions were to go all out. For what reason was the question.

     We heard a knock on the door and I walked to it. Opening the door, I was surprised to see a dashing looking Donovan step in. His eyes locked with my widening ones for a second, but then he looked away and walked to Brianna.

     I felt like I was in a daze as I closed the door behind him. He looked incredible. Hotter than I thought was humanly possible. He was wearing a formfitting tuxedo that showed off his muscular build and tanned skin. It seemed to enhance his features, especially his eyes by giving them an intense glow. My heart hammered against my chest as I watched him hug Brianna.