Chapter 18

We moved away from each other, panting lightly as we finished our make out session. I smiled widely at Donovan who looked incredibly hot - as usual. The corner of his lips twitched up into a smile, but it soon fell down. Curiosity filled me, but then he spoke.

     "I won't be coming tomorrow," Donovan said.

     I frowned. "Why not? It's a Friday, you always come on Fridays."

     "Yeah, but my family and I are going to some party." He rolled his eyes. "It's going to be so much fun."

     I smiled sadly. "Aw, that sucks. I'll be bored without you."

     "You'll have Brianna." He smirked. "She'll be company enough."

     "Ew." I frowned, disgusted by his words. "Tomorrow will definitely be hell because she'll have no one to be preoccupied with."

     He laughed. "Don't worry Alanna, it's only for one day."

     "I know," I said, even though I wasn't happy with the situation.

*****

     Lea and I were busy mopping the main hall together. That was one of the reason I was glad Lea worked here. It meant my jobs were cut in half. I also obviously loved her, too.

     After a few minutes of silent mopping, I heard Ms. Rose call my name. Rolling my eyes at Lea tiredly, I placed my mop at the side of the room and walked up the stairs to where she was. I had a bad feeling she would be asking me to help Brianna out.

     Turned out, I was right. That seemed to be a trend for me now and it wasn't a good one.

     "Alanna, Brianna wants you," Ms. Rose said.

     "Okay, I'll go to her," I said tiredly.

     I quickly went to Brianna's room, hoping whatever she wanted wouldn't take too long. There was no way I'd spend more time than needed with that brat. No way.

     Once down the long hallway, I knocked on the door that flew open. Brianna was the one to open it and to my surprise, she didn't seem angry or disgusted by me. Surprisingly, she actually looked solemn.

     "Hey Alanna," Brianna said, still holding the door open. "I'm in the mood to go to the park. You have to come with me."

     "Okay," I said, hiding my surprise.

     Brianna seemed sad, empty almost. Her usual 'charm' and attitude had vanished, leaving this empty shell of what used to be Brianna the brat. I was both relieved and scared, seeing that I would have to spend a few hours with her at the park.

*****

     Brianna and I were walking through the park in pure silence. It was somewhat awkward and somewhat peaceful. Usually I hated being around Brianna, but this time I didn't really mind. It was nice being able to admire the park when I was technically working.

     As we walked, I stared straight ahead and took in the park. Currently we were walking through the green field that lacked much of anything. Some children were playing soccer off to the left of us, but that was basically the only thing there on the field. For some reason I liked the simplicity of the whole thing.

     A few minutes later, Brianna asked, "Have you ever been in love?"

     "Who? Me?" I asked, looking at her in shock.

     She rolled her eyes. "Yes, who else Alanna."

     I stared at her blankly for a few seconds, surprised she was even talking to me about such a topic. We were nowhere near friends and I thought - knew she hated me. This was strange.