Chapter 38

Today was the day. The day where Donovan had to tell me if he'd break up with Brianna or not. He would be coming to my room in about thirty minutes.

Even though it was 'the day', I wasn't really thinking about that. My gut was twisting with nervousness at the thought of his answer, but I still wasn't really paying attention to the near future of it. Instead, I was thinking about university. To be specific, whether I should go.

When I was younger I had always wanted to become an author. Even a writer for magazines or newspapers. To create sentences that would capture others attention sounded splendid to me, and I really wanted to pursue a career in it. Although, that was until I lost confidence in the idea that I could make it. Me, who was called 'just a maid' plenty of times.

But then, I met Donovan and Lea. Both of them believed in me. They thought I was smart and much more than I ever thought I was. With those two people in my heart, I felt like I could do it. That I had a chance. Because of that, I was left here torn.

The only thing I knew for sure now was that if Donovan broke up with Brianna, I would stay here. If he couldn't, I might actually go to university. Lea was right, I shouldn't settle for this job that I hate. There was so much more out there in this world of ours.

As I realized I had been over thinking the whole situation for the entire day, I decided to pull out a book. That made me smile as I thought about just how much I loved books. Lea was right, I should major in English or some sort of writing. It would be the best for me.

Beginning to read, I got lost in the book. I was reading the book that was about a orphan girl finding herself. To my surprise, the girl reminded me of myself. She didn't know where she belonged in the world, and that was just like me. I guess that was why we both stayed in our lousy situations.

Just getting really into the book and its relatability, I heard a knock on the door. Knowing it was Donovan, I quickly placed the book on my shelf and got up. Taking a deep breath in, I then walked to the door.

Opening the door, I saw Donovan who looked as nervous as me standing there. He forced a smile when he saw me, and that made my heart hammer against my chest in fear. I had a bad feeling it hadn't gone the way we wanted it to go.

"Hi, come in," I said quietly.

Donovan stepped in and walked towards my bed. I followed him and was surprised to see him sitting on my bed. That only made me more nervous as I wondered why he wasn't standing or sitting on his favourite carpet. At this point I realized I really wanted him to still be mime. My urge to throw up was the confirmation of that.

Sitting beside him, I stared at his green eyes. The very green eyes that had captured my attention in the first place. The eyes that I'd also miss a lot if they couldn't look at me anymore.

"So," I said nervously, seeing that he wouldn't speak. "What happened?"

Donovan looked solemn. Like he was heartbroken. My heart already began to ache as I realized the results were definitely not the results I had wanted. I couldn't believe it.

"Alanna," Donovan seriously, taking a deep breath in. "I... I broke up with Brianna."

Donovan suddenly broke out into a grin, surprising me. My saddened heart began to hammer against my chest as I couldn't believe he said that. I felt both relieved and scared at the same time.

"Really?" I asked, still shocked. "Did you actually break up with her?"

"I did."

"Donovan," I said angrily, watching him grin happily . "Why were you so serious earlier? You scared me."