Chapter 22

I was in the same position I was a week ago, standing in front of Brianna's bedroom at ten in the night. Finally I had realized that Donovan and I would never get time alone to hang out, so I decided to spend time with him when I was off hours and she was asleep. It was dark outside due to it being winter, but I tried to stay positive. Hopefully Donovan would be okay with my way of apologizing.

Taking in a deep breath, I opened Brianna's bedroom door. I wasn't as afraid as I was last time, but I was still nervous. Brianna still couldn't find out that we spoke to each other. Life and death literally depended on that little piece of information.

I peered into room and saw Donovan sitting. He rubbed and then stretched his arms as he was now up. I suddenly felt bad knowing I had woken him up.

As he finally stopped rubbing his eyes, he looked at me and frowned. I waved at him and then pointed my way to say follow me. Without waiting for his reply, I slipped away and stood off to the side. I knew he would listen to that instruction, but I wasn't sure if he'd agree to go outside with me.

Donovan soon came to me. He looked incredibly sleepy and I felt guilty. Knowing I had woken him up, I knew I had to make this get together worth it. If not Donovan would definitely hate me for life. That was the last thing I wanted.

"Hey, sorry for waking you up," I whispered.

He yawned tiredly, stretching out his arms. I smiled sadly at him as I noticed the distance he still kept between us. Hopefully that could change after today.

"It's okay," he finally said. "What's going on?"

"Well, I know this is a really late notice, but do you want to hang out now?" I asked.

He frowned. "Now?"

"Yeah, I don't think Brianna is ever going to give us time alone."

He nodded, considering what I said. That seemed to be a good sign.

"Sure," he said, running his fingers through his disheveled hair. "Let's go."

I smiled at him. "Thank you."

For some reason he looked away from me. I began to frown.

"You're welcome," he mumbled.

I watched him walk ahead of me without a word. It seemed like I really did mess up things between us and I hated it. I never once expected what I did to damage our friendship this much. Honestly, I wasn't even sure why he seemed unable to bare my presence. I didn't think what I did was horrible enough to make him disgusted with me. Shaking my head, I hoped for the best.

*****

"I'm sorry about how late it is," I said shyly. "You can't even see much of the park and that was the purpose of bringing you here."

His eyes seemed to soften as he got out of the carriage. He hadn't helped me out of it, but I didn't mind. My plan seemed already be falling apart. The whole point was for us to admire our surroundings here and speak, but now half of my plan had vanished due to the darkness of the night.

"It's fine," he said. "The park hasn't changed. It's just too dark to see much."

"I know...but still."

"Alanna, it's fine," he said, growing serious. "Relax sweetheart."

My heart fluttered as he spoke my nickname. It felt like forever since he had spoken it, even though it had only been a little more than a week since then. A small smile fought its way to my face.