Chapter 28

I tried to ignore them, but it's harder than I thought it would be. A lot harder. Having to mop Brianna's already clean bedroom floor is the only thing that prevents me from snapping at Donovan, telling him off for having Brianna snuggled into his chest as he keeps an arm around her. The sight bothered me a lot, but as usual there was nothing I could do.

"Alanna, work faster," Brianna snapped.

Taking a deep breath in, I obeyed. I hated how she was my boss. The girl who was with the guy I liked, was the exact person treating me like I was nothing. It sucked and I had to resist the urge to attack her.

"Good maid," Brianna said smugly as I worked faster.

It took everything within me to not attack her at that moment. To not slap the stupid smug look she was probably wearing on her face right now. Thank god I was focusing on the ground. If I was looking at her face I would probably lose it.

Oh God. I realized I was turning back to the old Alanna, the viscous one that only cared about herself. That Alanna was not me and I would never let it be me. Tiredly, I let go my anger.

Romance really did suck. It was a huge hassle with too many complicated feelings. I began to remember why I avoided love, but at the same time the feelings I got around Donovan made it something beautiful. Just like what Brianna said, it can be incredible. For now it wasn't though.

As I mopped, I felt someone watching me. I knew it was Donovan, but I payed no attention to him as I tried to focus on cleaning. After seeing him with an arm wrapped around Brianna, I decided to ignore him. It seemed like he didn't care about my feelings. Anyone would know flirting with others in front of your loved one would hurt, but here he was doing it three meters away from me.

"That's enough Alanna," Brianna said tiredly. "You're going to damage the floor if you mop that hard."

My eyes widened as I realized how much force I was using to mop the floor. Thankfully, I hadn't damaged the floor, but I felt sick as I realized I was being controlled by my stupid emotions. Emotions that only began once I realized I liked Donovan. A small part of me began to regret even telling him I liked him.

"Alanna, you're done for the day," Brianna said surprisingly gently. "Just go to your room and do whatever."

I looked at her for the first time in a while with wide eyes to see if she was serious. She was still in Donovan's arms, much to my disappointment, but at least I could see that she was serious from the way she had concerned etched upon her face. I felt shock burst within me as it seemed like she actually cared about me. Maybe I was just seeing things though. I had a lot on my mind.

"Thank you," I said softly, placing the mop in the corner of the room.

I felt really grateful of her for letting me have the day off. I really needed this, especially after having the sight of them snuggling against each other overtake my thoughts. A sight I definitely hated with a passion.

Without a glance, I quickly left the room as I took a deep breath in. I hadn't looked at Donovan once and I wasn't planning on for a while. What he was doing hurt, even if it wasn't intentional it did. Didn't he know you shouldn't flirt with a girl in front of the girl that likes you back? Maybe he did. Maybe he just didn't care.

*****

I was in my room, reading the last book I borrowed from Leonardo. A part of me was upset that I had finished them so fast, but then I also remembered I could go to his library anytime I wanted to and get more books. That made me feel incredibly happy because so far books were the only thing that never let me down. They had always brightened my day in fact.