Chapter 29

Things were going well between us. Sometimes it was hard because we couldn't go on dates due to Brianna, but seeing Donovan was enough for me. So I enjoyed whatever we had right now. It was sufficient and I guess worth it. Even if I did feel guilt twisting at my heart every now and then, it was better than not having him at all.

Right now I was mopping the main hall, as usual it seemed. For some reason Ms. Rose always gave me that job. At first I hated it, but I soon realized the job wasn't so bad. Compared to others who had to clean washrooms and disgusting plates, it was almost a blessing.

As I mopped by myself, I heard footsteps enter the room. I looked up from the spot I was mopping and smiled as I saw that it was Donovan who had entered the room. He smiled back at me and winked. I stuck my tongue at him as he made his way towards me.

"Hey beautiful," he whispered, kissing my left cheek once he reached me.

I blushed wildly and hissed, "Donovan, someone can see us."

"I know, but you're just too irresistible," he whined.

I raised an eyebrow. "It seems like you've gotten much cheesier ever since we became this."

"I've always been cheesy. You've just never noticed until now."

I thought about it. It was actually true. Donovan was a natural flirt. Before I never thought he could like me, so I never paid attention to his sweet words. Now I always noticed them because they made my heartbeat accelerate to dangerous speeds.

"True," I said. "So, what are you doing here?"

"I have a date with Brianna and she told me to wait here," Donovan replied.

"Oh." I frowned.

I would be lying if I said it didn't bother me when I saw Donovan and Brianna together. Honestly, I hated it. It gave me a sick feeling and I just felt like tearing her away from him every time I saw them touching each other. I was never the jealous type, but Brianna had a way of making my anger rise enough to create this destructive version of myself. Thankfully, I knew how to keep it inside me.

"Alanna," Donovan said softly. "I like you."

"I know." I sighed. "I just wish... you know."

"I know," he said, almost pleadingly. "But I can't."

I nodded feeling disappointed. For sure Donovan would never break up with Brianna. I began to wonder if he'd still date her even if we were getting married.

"Alanna," Donovan said, breaking me out my bizarre thoughts. "One day I'll make us a true couple. I'll make it so we can date in public without worry. I can promise you that, but you've just got to be patient."

"Okay," I said with hope filling up within me. "I'll be patient."

I began to smile as I knew Donovan would keep him promise. He was that type of guy. That made me happy because that was all I wanted right now. To be with Donovan freely. No secrets, no fear, no anything involved except the two of us. That was my dream.

Before either of us could say anything else, I heard footsteps on the staircase leading to the main hall. My eyes widened and so did Donovan's. He quickly went to the couch that sat at the side of the room and sat down. I continued to mop the floor.

I heard Donovan gasp and my head flew up to look at him. He was staring at something - or someone wide-eyed. His eyes gleamed with amazement as his jaw hung opened. I frowned.

Following his stare, I met Brianna's fierce blue eyes. They were glaring at me sharply as she walked gracefully down the stairs looking like a queen. She was dressed in a golden gown that reminded me of Bell's from Beauty and the Beast. It was that grand. Her beautiful face also enhanced the overall look as she wore stunning make up to make every single one of her features stand out. I had to admit she looked incredible.