Chapter 11

"Tell me everything," Lea demanded.

     I groaned as I lay down on my bed. Lea had woken me up an hour ago, demanding to know everything that was going on between Donovan and I. Feeling bad for her, I actually got ready and was now about to tell her despite my awkwardness.

     "There's not much to say," I said.

     She narrowed her eyes at me. "Liar."

     "Fine." I sighed. "I don't know how to explain it, but Donovan and I talk a lot... in secret, of course."

     She grinned, causing me to blush. I felt like I was telling her about my crush, even though Donovan wasn't.

     "We hung out yesterday," I looked down at my feet awkwardly. "And it was nice."

     "Aw!" Lea exclaimed. "Are you guys together?"

     "No," I said quickly. "He's dating Brianna, remember?"

     "He doesn't seem to like her," she said thoughtfully. "I doubt any guy would spend time with just any girl in their free time either."

     I blushed. "Trust me, it's just because we're both... complicated people."

     "You can say that again." She shook her head as a smile formed on her lips. "I've always thought he was stuck up because of the way he is around Brianna, but I think I thought wrong after last time."

     "Yeah, he's not a bad guy."

     "Obviously if you like him." She smirked.

     More blood rushed to my cheeks as I exclaimed, "I don't like him!"

     "Sure, and Brianna is the sweetest girl ever," she said sarcastically.

     I laughed. "Okay, let's not talk crazy talk."

     Lea laughed as well.

     We then spent the next hour talking. Most of the time I talked about Donovan and what had happened between us so far. It was nice being able to share that. Sometimes I was confused about the situation I was in, so now I was thankful that Lea could help me out. I hoped she was trustworthy though.

*****

     "Alanna, Brianna wants to see you," Ms. Rose said.

     "Okay," I said, disappointed.

     I was almost done all my chores for the day, so I was reluctant about going. Brianna was the type of person to make me work extra hard, especially after what happened at the pond. It sucked.

     I walked upstairs and down the long hallway to Brianna's room. Knocking on the large door, I was surprised to find it flying open within a second. I wasn't sure if that was a good thing, but I walked in cautiously.

     Brianna was sitting on her bed with Donovan, who didn't even glance at me. At first I felt a pang of annoyance, but I remembered just how risky it was just talking to him. If anyone in a high position were to find out, we would both be dead in an instance. Especially me, a so-called worthless maid.

     "I don't know why, but my dad wants to meet you," Brianna said as I stood in front of her.

     I tried not to show my surprise as I asked, "Really? Why?"

     She shrugged. "I have no idea whatsoever."

     I nodded awkwardly and waited for further instructions. My stomach began to twist a little at the thought of meeting the landlord of Vienna. It was a big deal because he had the most power here, and he was my actual boss technically.