Chapter 26

I was getting ready. Today was New Year's Eve and Donovan had asked me to spend it with him. I was extremely excited and was now getting dressed in a long-sleeve navy blue dress with simple silver  jewellery as accessories. For some reason I wanted to look nice today.

    It wasn't because I like Donovan though. I had pushed away any ideas of that after the day Lea brought it up. There had been enough drama involving Donovan, Brianna, and I in the past, and I wasn't going to add more by falling for him. Drama was the last thing I needed right now.

    Once I finished putting on my dress, I twirled around in front of my mirror. I wished I had curled my hair before I put on my dress because now it was a bit frizzy. Other than that I had to admit I looked better than usual. That was all thanks to the light make up I wore today.

     In about ten minutes, I heard a knock on my door. I quickly opened it and grinned at Donovan who looked more gorgeous than usual. He was wearing a dark green button shirt and black pants. The green of the shirt enhanced his eye colour and I found myself getting lost in them as he stepped into my room.

     "You look beautiful," he said, looking me up and down.

     I blushed. "Thank you. You look nice too."

     He grinned. "Shall we go?"

     "For sure."

                          *****

     "Why did you take me here?" I groaned, holding onto a rail as I fought for balance.

     Donovan laughed as he skated towards me. He looked happier than usual as he grinned at me from where he stood, a foot away. It made me happy to see him happy, but I couldn't do this. I had already fallen six times today from skating and we'd only been here for an hour.

     "Come on, don't tell me you're not having any fun," Donovan said, still grinning.

     I narrowed my eyes at him. "I nearly died six times."

     Donovan laughed. "Falling is the best part. Come on, I'll teach you how to skate."

     He extended his hands out towards me and I stared at him blankly. I knew what he had in mind, but I was a bit scared. After falling six times I had trust issues with ice. I didn't believe it could hold me up.

     "Come on, I'll make sure you won't fall," Donovan insisted. "Just hold my hands and you'll be fine."

     "Promise?" I asked hesitantly.

     "Promise."

     I stared at him for a few more seconds hesitantly. I knew this would be my only chance to skate, so I took a deep breath in and decided to trust him. To be honest skating was pretty fun - funny. My day wasn't horrible, it just sucked that I couldn't stay on my feet on the ice.

     I slowly let go of the railing and took Donovan's hands. He smiled at me as he held my hands tightly in his. I smiled back with fear in my eyes as I felt myself becoming unstable. Donovan pulled me closer to him.

     "Don't worry Alanna," he said reassuringly. "I've got you. I won't let you fall."

     My eyes softened as I was a foot away from Donovan. He took a step back, and I dragged myself forward slowly. The pace I was going at was the pace of a snail, but I was glad that I was at least still on my feet. That seemed to be a good sign.

     "Good girl," Donovan said, taking another step back. "You can do this."

     I slid closer to him again and grinned at him. He made me feel like I could do it. He gave me the confidence I lacked and I was grateful.