Chapter 4

Two weeks had passed. They had been surprisingly quick, but boring. I had a lot of jobs in the mansion. Jobs that didn't always involve Brianna either. It was tiring, but at least it kept me busy and away from her.

Surprisingly, that wasn't the main problem with being a maid nowadays. The main problem was that I didn't have any friends. Mainly because most of the people in the mansion were ten years older than me, which meant I was basically alone. I hated that because I was bored out of my mind. It didn't help that Brianna wouldn't allow me to see Donovan either. Apparently she was furious about him carrying me, so she kept us away from each other. I hated that because I missed his oddness.

"Alanna! Come here!" The top maid yelled.

She - Ms. Rose - was the head maid at the mansion, and really annoying. She ordered me around as much as Brianna, but literally for no reason. There were always ten maids with her, but she always chose to call me for a job.

I walked to the hallway where she was. She was holding a mop and bucket, wearing a smile I had seen plenty of times by now.

Forcing a smile, I asked, "What is it Ms. Rose?"

"Mop the floor," she said, handing me the mop and bucket. "Down in the main hall."

I took the mop from her and left. I didn't care if I lacked the manners of saying anything back to her, I was just so tired of this bullshit. Being a maid was so much work. I had never cleaned as much as I cleaned here in my eighteen years of living, and only two weeks had passed. A part of me was scared for my energy levels at the end of the year.

I walked down the long spiralling staircase and into the main hall. To my surprise, I saw Donovan sitting on a beige couch at the side of the large spectacular hall. A small smile formed on my face, but then I realized it was better to ignore him. Brianna's wrath was not something I wanted to face.

I walked to the back corner of the hallway and began moping. My ears burned for some reason. Probably because this was the first time he would see me working like this. That fact disgusted myself.

"It's been a while." I heard him say.

Without looking at him, I said, "It has."

"Do you need help?"

I shook my head and kept working. Brianna actually did scare me a lot. In these past two weeks, I had seen her throw a couple of tantrums. They were quite terrifying because she threw things around and screamed at the top of her lungs with such a fury that I found myself wanting to go into fetal position. Because of that fear, I tried to be the perfect maid for her.

After a minute of silence, I heard Donovan say beside me, "Why won't you talk to me?"

I looked at him wide-eyed, surprised of how he was now beside me. "Aren't you scared of..." I looked from left-to-right, and then lowered my voice. "Brianna?"

He found that hilarious and began to laugh. I felt embarrassed, so I glared at him.

"I'm sorry," he apologized once he calmed down. "Why would I be scared of her? She's a whiny little baby who thinks the world revolves around her."

My eyes widened more. "She happens to be your girlfriend too."

I didn't know why I was defending Brianna. Probably because I was tired of these types of guys. I never understood why someone would be with another person they would talk bad about. Didn't they care about that person? If not, why be with them?