Chapter 7

"Who are you looking for?" Lea asked.

     "Nobody," I quickly responded.

     The truth was I was looking for Donovan. Yesterday had been a good day with him and I wanted to see him again. Probably because I needed to know if yesterday had actually happened. 

     "You seem anxious," Lea commented.

     "Really?" I said, pretending to be shocked. "I'm not, I'm just tired."

     "Yeah, Ms. Rose works you too hard. I don't understand her obsession with you."

     "I know." I rolled my eyes. "It's so annoying."

     As if on cue, Ms. Rose called me. Sighing, I told Lea I would talk to her later. Lea was awesome and I honestly loved her. A part of me wanted to spill the beans about Donovan to her, but I knew that would be risky. No one could know Donovan and I even spoke. It would mean Brianna's wrath - or even murder of me.

     I walked upstairs and into the hallway of bedrooms. Ms. Rose stood alone, a sight that was rare. She smiled sweetly as at me as I walked towards her.  

     "What is it, miss?" I asked once I approached her.

     "Brianna wants you," she said, smiling tiredly.

     Nodding my head, I walked to Brianna's bedroom. Every step I took there increased me dread to see her. Brianna was a nightmare I wished I could wake up from. She was the biggest brat I'd ever met.

     Once at her bedroom door, I knocked lightly and waited. In about a minute the door flew open and I walked inside the room calmly. Brianna and Donovan were both there, sitting on her bed.

     As I stood patiently at the door, I couldn't help but look at Donovan as Brianna searched through a small golden box on her lap. I kept staring at him, hoping he'd look at me. Eventually he did. The moment our eyes met, I knew yesterday was real. I fought back a smile as Brianna suddenly looked up, holding up a silver bracelet.

     "You blind girl!" she snapped. "My bracelet was in this box the entire time. How could you not spot it?"

     I took a deep breath in, tired of her ways. Never in my life had I seen that box, so I didn't understand why she would expect me to find the ring there. She said herself that she had looked everywhere, so why couldn't she have found it herself.

     "I'm sorry," I said, despite my anger.

     "Whatever," she said. "Donovan and I are going to the park. You need to come and hold my belongings."

     "Okay."

     Brianna got up and walked out the door eagerly. Donovan followed her, but not without rolling his eyes. I smiled as I realized he did that for me.

 *****

     "Wow, it's chilly," Brianna commented, shivering excessively.

     I rolled my eyes, thankful I was walking behind them. What else did she expect during autumn.

     "Yeah," Donovan said. "Do you want my coat?"

     Without holding back, she nodded vigorously. I rolled my eyes once again as Donovan took off his coat. She was so spoiled. Donovan was only wearing a thin blue shirt now, and I could tell he was cold. Brianna was a horrible girlfriend.

     "Better?" he asked.

     She smiled and pulled the coat tightly around herself. "For sure."