Chapter 14

I had spent the week avoiding everyone. For the first few days, I pretended I was sick with a fever. Somehow Ms. Rose bought that and she allowed me to stay in bed. For once I liked the woman.

After I couldn't fake it, Lea had done me a favour and taken care of Brianna in my place, leaving me to only do chores asked by Ms. Rose. I'd never been more thankful because I really didn't want to see Brianna. Not after what we both did.

My feelings after the kiss had been bipolar. For an hour I would feel on top of the world about it, squealing into my pillow and dancing around my room - when I was supposed to be pretending to be sick. The next hour however, I would lay in bed and stare at the ceiling, knowing what I had done was terrible. I had kissed Brianna's boyfriend. Her hot, incredible, boyfriend.

A part of me felt like she deserved it. She was heartless. She was someone who I thought didn't deserve happiness - a happiness that seemed to be Donovan. The other part of me still remembered she was a girl, just like me, who was in love with a boy who had kissed me back and said he enjoyed it. I didn't know what to do.

Donovan wasn't making my life any easier either. It was my fault because I had been avoiding him due to guilt and some other confused feelings. I still couldn't believe I had initiated the kiss, enjoyed it, and made out with him. Embarrassment had shot through me at the thought, even though the kiss was heavenly and worth it. Well, I wasn't sure if it was still worth it, seeing how much of a mess everything was.

"Alanna!" I heard Ms. Rose yell.

Quickly tying the bow of my uniform, I rushed out of my room. After the whole event, I tried to be the best maid possible. I needed to show everyone who saw me get slapped by Brianna that I was actually a good, obedient worker. Brianna just had serious anger issues.

I ran down the long, spiralling staircase and into the main hallway. Ms. Rose stood with a bunch of maids in the middle of it, with small smile on her face. I saw Lea among the maids, but she didn't look happy. Anticipation filled me.

"Hello Ms. Rose," I said, smiling. "What can I do for you?"

"I don't need anything," she replied, still smiling. "It's Brianna."

My smile dropped from my face. No. I don't want to see her.

"Isn't Lea taking care of Brianna's needs?" I asked innocently.

Ms. Rose shook her head. "Brianna wants you... I'm sorry."

Shock filled me from her apology. Ms. Rose was staring at me with sympathetic eyes, so I knew she was being serious, too. I never thought the woman could feel anything for me.

"It's okay," I said. "I'll go see her."

Ms. Rose nodded and then went back to talking to her other maids. Looking at Lea quickly, I saw her nodding encouragingly at me. Sadly, that didn't help my shaken nerves.

Taking a deep breath in, I climbed the staircase. My heartbeat had begun to accelerate at the thought of seeing Brianna. The last time I saw her had felt like a long time ago. She had slapped me and I had kissed her boyfriend that day, too. I wasn't ready to face her with those thought still consuming my mind.

I walked slower than usual to her bedroom, which was down the long hallway. My gut was twisting and turning, and I thought I would actually become sick. Never had I felt this terrified.

Eventually, I made it to the door. Taking a deep breath in, I knocked on it. Within a second it flew open. Donovan had opened it.

I didn't look at him as I stepped in. Stupidly, my heart began to hammer against my chest from the sight of him, so I began hyperventilating quietly. I just wanted to get this over with.