Chapter 21

I glanced at Donovan who paid no attention to me as I waited for Brianna to come out of the washroom and order me around. Anxiousness ran through my veins as I wondered how things would turn out. A part of me thought I would be fine, but the other part of me felt like it would be a disaster. I tried to remain positive anyways.

Eventually, she did come out. She looked angry - as usual when I was around - as she smirked at me. A part of me felt the anger I had felt the past month rise up within me, but I pushed it away. The old Alanna would never let her feelings get the better of her.

"Alanna, clean my entire room," Brianna demanded, placing her hands on her hips. "I want this place spotless in an hour."

"Okay," I replied, smiling widely.

She frowned for a second, but then replaced the frown with a scowl. "I'm not bluffing stupid maid. I want this place spotless, so clean until I'm able to see my reflection on the floor."

To see one's face on the dark brown wooden floor was nearly impossible, but I kept my smile wide. She was my boss and I would please her no matter what. That was my original goal when I got this job, and I now intended to stick with it.

"I know princess," I said. "I will make sure of that."

She stared at me blankly for a few seconds, probably awestruck by my new attitude. I wasn't sure if that was a good thing, but she soon huffed and walked over to Donovan. As she now stood beside him, I glanced at Donovan who seemed surprised by my new attitude as well. For some reason I felt like that was a good thing. Maybe because I was trying to be positive.

"Get going," Brianna snapped, wrapping an arm around Donovan's.

I nodded, still smiling and went to work. Brianna and Donovan both seemed to be watching me as I began to mop the already clean floor, but I ignored them. What I was doing at the moment was the job I chose to have.

It didn't matter if Donovan saw me working like this, it didn't matter if Brianna wasn't nice to me. What mattered was I acted like the person I was. Someone who would work to my best ability and make sure everyone was happy. That was the Alanna I think we all love.

An hour had past and Donovan and Brianna were cuddling on the bed as I finished dusting some of her furniture. I had to admit I didn't enjoy the sight of them cuddling, but I had taken a deep breath and ignored the sight. Finally I had accepted something as well.

Donovan and Brianna were a couple. They had been together for around two years, and they intended to stay together. I was Brianna's maid and nothing more than a friend to Donovan. I was in no position to break up them, especially because Brianna really does love Donovan. Donovan may not love Brianna the same way, but this was what he wants as well. As long as they felt that way, there was nothing I could do.

Surprisingly, I was fine with it. Donovan had never been anything other than a friend. Yes, we were friends with benefits briefly, but that was definitely finished with. Today I hoped to see Donovan later and apologize for how I had treated him. He really did deserve it.

"I'm done," I said, dusting off the lamp that stood beside her mirror.

Brianna sat up from where she was cuddling with Donovan. She smirked as she saw me stare at her with a duster in my hand. I hated the way she acted like I was inferior, but I had to accept things as they were. This was my life for a year and I had to make it work.

"Good job," she suddenly said. "My room looks neat."

My eyes widened. I couldn't believe it. She was complimenting my work.