Chapter 8

Another two weeks had passed, which meant one out of my twelve months at the mansion were over. The past two weeks had been agonizingly slow, causing me to worry about the next eleven months.

     After the whole park incident, Brianna began to work me harder. She also decided to be more rude than usual, too. Lea noticed and tried to help me, but that lead to Brianna screaming at her. That angered me more than anything.

     Donovan and I barely saw each other the past two weeks, too. Brianna was set on making sure we never even spoke to each other after he supported me at the park. I hated that because I wanted to see Donovan. Something about him kept me coming, and I had no idea what. Maybe because he wasn't what I expected him to be. Maybe because every time I looked at him, he seemed to be already looking at me, too.

     "I hate Brianna," Lea said, snapping me out of my thoughts.

     I hadn't realized she had entered my room. She had closed the door behind her - thankfully - too, and was now staring at me with tired eyes. Even though we were basically the same age, I pitied her for having this job. It had to be hard on her petite frame.

     "Me too," I said honestly. "I've never asked you this, but why are you even working here. You're too good for this job."

     She smiled shyly. "Thanks... My family is poor, which meant I couldn't afford to go to university. This was the only job that pays a good money for a someone like me."

     Whatever pity I felt for her before increased drastically. I felt horrible. Here I was, a young girl who could have went to university, but didn't go for stupid reasons. I never understood why god would do that to people. It seemed like the people who deserved to achieve their dreams never did. It was utterly stupid to me.

     "I'm sorry," I eventually said. "I wish I could help."

     "It's okay," she said, shrugging as if it were no big deal. "This job sucks, but only because of Brianna. Otherwise it would be fine."

     "True," I said. "Well, don't forget about Ms. Rose too."

     Lea rolled her eyes. "Oh yeah. Definitely her too."

     I smiled and looked at the clock. It was about nine o'clock - time for me to be in bed. Waking up early was beginning to take its toll on me, so I now went to sleep earlier.

     I was about to ask Lea to leave, but she asked, "So, how's Donovan?"

     My cheeks heated up. "Why are you asking me that?"

     "Come on, I've seen the connection you both have. Don't lie to me and tell me you feel nothing for him."

     Now I knew my face was completely red. I didn't know what she saw between us.

     "I don't have feelings for him," I said honestly.

     "Liar," she said, placing her hands on her hips.

     I shook my head tiredly. Might as well tell her something.

     "Okay, I find him incredibly hot." I sighed as Lea's face suddenly brightened up. "But nothing will ever happen between us. He's rich and I'm a poor maid. He's also dating Brianna."

     "Don't be so pessimistic. I've seen the way he looks at you," Lea said cheerfully.

     I shook my head, knowing I was right. As if on cue, the door slowly creaked open. My eyes darted to the door, and so did Lea's. To my surprise Donovan stepped in.

     My eyes widened as Donovan said, "Hello Lea, do you mind if I could speak to Alanna alone?"

     Her eyes seemed to bulge out of her sockets as she stared at him with a dropped jaw. I would have laughed if I wasn't so freaked out about Lea seeing Donovan visiting me.