Chapter 3

"Wake up Alanna." I heard Harry say.

     I groaned as my eyes slowly opened. Drifting my eyes to the small clock in the corner of my average-looking room, I saw that it was seven o'clock. I groaned once again. Waking up this early was something I didn't expect.

     "Brianna's waiting," Harry said through the closed door.

     I sighed. "Yeah, I'm coming."

     "Okay, I'll go fetch you your breakfast," he replied.

      I smiled as I heard footsteps moving away. Harry was honestly the only good thing here. Everything else sucked - Brianna - or was weird - Donovan. Already I could tell this would be a very long year.

*****                    

     "God, you're so slow," Brianna whined.

     Sighing, I quickly rushed to where she sat on the carriage. Donovan sat beside her, but he was acting like I didn't exist. That didn't bother me though. However, I was curious to know where the Donovan from yesterday had went. Boring Donovan was what I'd seen today so far.

      "Here's your drink," I said, smiling as widely as possible.

      Even though I doubted there was any hope of her liking me, I still tried. Somehow I wanted to get on her good side for tips or something. If it was going to be a long year, it needed to be a worthwhile one.

     "Why didn't you get Donovan one?" she asked, taking the drink from me.

     I looked at Donovan. "Oh, you want one?"

     He shook his head without sparing me a glance. For some reason that annoyed me.

     "Cat's got your tongue?" I asked, repeating the words he spoke yesterday.

     He quickly looked at me, eyes widening in the process. However, I could see that he was fighting back a smile.

     "Alanna! That is not how you speak to my boyfriend!" Brianna snapped. "Actually, you're not allowed to talk to him at all."

     "It's okay Brianna," Donovan assured. "It was my fault for not responding to such a pretty maid appropriately." 

     My eyes widened in shock. Brianna matched my facial expression.

     "Donovan! How could you say that!" she screamed.

     For the first time today Donovan smiled - I mean actually smiled. The smile that he wore yesterday when we were alone at midnight. Surprisingly my heart fluttered from the sight.

     "I was joking Brianna," Donovan assured. "She's just a maid. How could I think that?"

     Brianna smiled as my heart sunk. Was that all I was to any of these people? Just a simple maid?

     Brianna quickly kissed Donovan's cheek. Her cheeks were flushed and I could tell she really loved him. I didn't know if I could say the same for Donovan though. Even though he did everything she asked for, feelings from him were never really shown.

     "Come on, Alanna. We're going to the park now," Briana said.

     Nodding, I quietly went to the back of the carriage. All of their 'necessities' for the park were at the back as well, so I was pretty cramped up. I didn't complain though. A part of me was happy to get out of the mansion that seemed to remind me that I was a failure because I didn't live there, I worked for someone there.