Chapter 35

I sat in bed, unwilling to do anything. My heart still felt empty after Donovan yanked it out with his words. Even though I wasn't happy about Donovan and I's relationship ending, I honestly was more hurt over the fact that he said I was just a maid. It was probably because Donovan was what made me feel like I was more than just that. He had made me feel like I wasn't worthless until now.

      Sighing, I realized how much I depended on Donovan. I had become one of those stupid girls who fell head over heels for a guy, only to be left heartbroken. That was exactly what happened to me and here I was trying to figure out how to fill my empty heart.

     I thought about Lea. She would probably make me feel better, but then again I didn't want to tell her what happened just yet. Honestly, I just wasn't ready to face the truth either. The stupid girl within me still clung to the hope that this was just some sick joke life was throwing at me. My brain new better sadly.

     Running my fingers through my messy hair, I thought about books. Books were definity my safe haven when it came to living here, but when I tried to read earlier my mind kept running back to the events of yesterday. It was annoying and I couldn't help but stare at the carpet Donovan loved instead of reading as those events ran through my head. Those thoughts only created more pain.

      Suddenly, I realized something. I realized that it was probably this room that was making me feel this upset. Donovan and I had started here and ended here, which gave this room a special sentimental value to it. This was probably why I couldn't even think straight in this room. I needed to leave.

      Standing up, I shrugged my shoulders as I realized I was wearing pyjamas. It was eight o'clock, which meant everyone was already in bed by now. No one would see me or care if I walked around the mansion like this anyways.

     Walking to the door, I happily opened it and stepped out. The second I closed the door to my room, I smiled as I felt my heart lighten up a little. Now I felt like I could get past this bump in my life.

                           *****

      I opened the large doors of the library. Before going to it, I had made a few pit stops to the kitchen and washroom. I had realized I hadn't left my bed other than to work the entire day. That was how upset I was.

      As I stepped into the library, I silently prayed for Leonardo not to be there. I wasn't in the mood to talk to him, or anyone to be honest. Right now I needed to be alone to free my mind of all of my consuming thoughts.

      Walking down the aisles, I was thankful to see that the library was empty. Leonardo was not here, which meant I was completely alone. I never felt happier at the thought of being alone.

      Smiling to myself, I went to the Teen Fiction shelf and searched for a book. My plan was to spend the next two hours reading in peace here. That way I'd be able to escape reality and go into the world of fiction. A world I preferred because in most cases, fiction stories had happy endings. Endings I wished my life would have.

      In about ten minutes, I found a book about a girl finding herself. For some reason it caught my eyes, so I grabbed it and walked over to the table Leonardo usually sat at. As I walked, I read the back of the book to see what the book was about.

      As I read, I suddenly heard someone say, "Alanna, what are you doing here?"

      My head flew up as I wondered who was here. As my eyes looked over at the table, I saw Ms. Rose sitting there. She was dressed in a red robe, staring at me with her blue eyes. In her hand she held a novel. My eyes widened as I wondered where she had come from.