Chapter One - Prologue

Hey guys!

So this is a new story, clearly. I was just writing for kicks and giggles, to get over my writers block on Why I Hate Romeo and Juliet and Insignificant things, and I decided to see where it went. Somehow, I came to this (which believe me, was a far way’s away from where I started!) and I wanted to share it!

I actually didn’t start writing the prologue until after I finished writing the first two chapters. It’s not exactly light-hearted at first, and since it became a bit long, I decided to make it one of the chapters.

Also, I changed some stuff up! At first, I tried writing it in the character’s perspectives, because that’s normally how I write. Let me know how you like it, if you like it. It’s still in a pretty rough state, so if you see any errors, please feel free to point them out to me! Thanks!

-jennaxxx

p.s. I’ve been proficiently procrastinating writing for my other stories because of my major creative block. I’m really sorry, I haven’t uploaded in ages, but I promise to try and get working on those soon!

Chapter One: Prologue

Things were never right in the Jennings Family. Craig Jennings, Anna’s father, greatly resented her for that.

Craig and Lisa were young and in love: high school sweethearts. It was them against the world, when Lisa got pregnant. They were in it together. Lisa was only seventeen when she had her first child, Patrick. Five years later, came around Annabelle. Sadly, that was when things started to go awry.

Lisa Jennings was only twenty-two when she died. The fact that it was due to complications in the pregnancy was no easy burden on Anna, or Craig, for that matter. He had to wait six years before he could hit her, because even Craig couldn’t hit a baby. For years, her scars and bruises went unnoticed.

It was when Anna was sixteen that Patrick detected something wasn’t right.

“What happened, Annie?” Patrick asked in a state of shock, denial, and seriousness. Looking at her blue arms, he knew something was wrong. Those weren’t just simple, small contusions on her arms. Someone wasn’t being good to her.

“Nothing, Pat,” she lied, swatting his arms away. “I just fell.”

“How many times?” he asked, disbelievingly. She looked away, tears threatening to spill over. She feared for her life, but yet, was so relieved that he noticed. She knew she could never tell him. He had to figure it out on his own. “Don’t lie to me, Anna,” he told her. “Who did this to you?”

Her eyes became glossy, unable to say it even after all these years. Patrick scanned his brain. Who could’ve possibly done this to her. Anna had never had a boyfriend that he knew of, and he thought that she would confide in him with that sort of thing. Then again, she never told him about this…

“Do you have a boyfriend, Anna?” He asked her seriously.

“What?” she asked. “No!”

His eyes widened as it dawned on him. “Was it Dad?”

Anna was crying now. They were in the kitchen, and Craig was out with some of his friends. He would’ve been out the whole night, if it was anything like his previous night outs. In the morning, he would still be drunk, hit Anna a few times, and pass out on the floor. Since Patrick was home from college for the holidays, Anna didn’t really have to worry about being hit – Craig would never hit her around others – but she was still scared.