Chapter Nineteen - 'Tis the Season

I hate writer’s block! Hate it!

I’ve been so stumped to write this chapter because I had so many ideas for it, but nothing fit quite right. I’m not sure how I like it, but it opened up the story a lot more. So let me know what you think! I hope you like it!

I love you all!

-jennaxxx

Chapter Nineteen: ‘Tis the Season

“Bill Withers is a bastard.”

“You wanted snow.”

“But I didn’t want to be snowed in!” Anna scowled at James as he shoveled through the eighteen inches on the driveway.

James rolled his eyes. “Go back inside; you’ll catch a cold.”

“But Hunter’s inside,” she whined. “And he’s on the phone.”

“There’s hot chocolate on the stove,” James turned to her as her eyes widened marginally. “And there are marshmallows in the cupboard…”

James,” Anna groaned.

“How about I drive Kristen over once I’m done with this?” He looked to his truck. “My baby can take it, don’t you think?”

Anna wasn’t sure herself, but company was company, and Kristen’s company was always welcomed. “Yep,” she nodded eagerly. “Hurry up,” she called before walking back into the house.

Hunter was on the couch, eyes shut tightly as he listened to his attorney. “Why?” he demanded, wondering if Cora was behind all of it. Apparently, he needed to be back in New York to finalize the divorce papers. “I refuse to go back earlier, Carson.”

Anna watched curiously as he spoke to Carson, wondering why in the world he wanted to stay. Hunter never seemed to like Eureka much, and if he did, he didn’t say it.

“Then tell her to fuck someone else to pass the time!” he growled, hanging up and throwing his phone down forcefully.

Anna flinched, her body gone rigid as he yelled. “Shit,” she mumbled under her breath as the memories resurfaced and her eyes glossed over.

Hunter looked up to see her for the first time since she’d entered. “Anna?” he asked, catching the fear in her eyes. “Hey,” he stood. “Are you alright?”

Anna blinked at him before snapping out of it. “Yeah,” she forced a smile onto her face. “I’m fine. Hey, you want some hot chocolate?”

Hunter narrowed his eyes at her. “No you’re not – you’re not fine.

She held his gaze and bit back. “Yes. I am. Leave it, Hunter,” she said finally, walking into the kitchen to ladle her some hot chocolate.

You’re the terrible liar,” Hunter called to her, sitting back down on the couch.

“I am not!” Anna gasped. “I’m not lying, but if you really must know, your phone’s too nice to be thrown around. Asshole.”

Hunter laughed. “That’s it?”

“Yes!” Anna exclaimed, walking back out to the living room with her mug. “What was that all about?”

Hunter grimaced. “Cora wants me to be there for the finalizing of the divorce papers. She’s even got my lawyer on it.”

“So get a new lawyer,” Anna shrugged.