Chapter Six - Nothing's Okay

Hey guys!

Sorry for the super late update :( I got a little stuck on this story, but I’m back on it! If you’ve read my other story, Why I Hate Romeo and Juliet, you might know that I’ll be going on vacation for a little bit. Only a few days, though. The trip did, however, get moved back, so it’s possible that I’ll be posting one more chapter of this, before I go, and another chapter of WIHRJ. Or should it be WIHRAJ? I don’t know.

Anyways! I hope you like this! It’s sort of a filler-chapter, but some important things happen. ;)

-jennaxxx

PS. The song is Daydreaming by DarkDarkDark. I LOVE this song! It’s so soothing :)

Chapter Six: Nothing’s Okay

Anna woke up in the middle of the night to the slamming of the refrigerator. “James?” she called out warily.

“You wish, Pumpkin.”

She bolted upright and grimaced at the dark. “Don’t call me that,” she demanded to the pitch black of the living room. “What time is it?”

“Three-thirty.”

“I hate you so much,” she moaned. “It’s not even fathomable by light years.”

“Good for you,” Hunter said derisively, his voice hoarse.

There was a short pause before it even crossed her mind. “What are you even doing up?”

He spoke hesitantly for once, catching her off guard. “I can’t sleep.”

Anna’s eyes widened at the fact that he didn’t retort with a snarky comment. “Oh,” she blurted, desperately trying to form a coherent sentence. “Uh…there’s Nyquil in my bathroom.”

“Thanks,” he let out a breathy laugh, surprised by her generosity. She did, after all, ‘hate him so much,’ that, ‘it wasn’t even fathomable by light years.’ He chuckled again at the insult; how dorky was she? “But I’ll be okay.”

“Sure, whatever,” Anna winced even in the dark. The thought that she would be going to work in just a few hours gave her a headache. If she didn’t get back to sleep soon, she was the one who’d be needing medication. “Hunter,” she mumbled warningly, laying back down and closing her eyes. “If you ever wake me up in the middle of the night without a good reason, I’ll cut your baby-making-device off.”

Baby-making-device?

Dork.

He chuckled to himself, before deciding to tease her some more. Walking to the vicinity of the couch, he spoke in a lower, huskier voice. “Now why would you want that, Ms. Jennings?”

Startled by the closeness of his voice, Anna squirmed. “Get away from me,” she garbled hazily, except Hunter was already walking back to his room, chuckling in triumph. She cursed at him before drifting back to sleep.

___

“I don’t want to go!” Anna wailed in the morning.

“You never want to,” James said dryly. “Why did you even become a teacher?”

“Shut up,” she narrowed her eyes at him, grabbing her keys. “It’s going to be awful. I’m going to have to face that idiot Randy Houser…”

“You’re not supposed to talk to your students like that.”

“…and figure out how to get the funds for all those glazes,” she finished, completely ignoring James’ comment.”