Chapter TwentyOne - Clara

Hey there, :)

SO! Well…yes, I’m sorry. It’s been a few weeks since I’ve posted on this story. But falling into class and things, I’ve figured out that most of my stories will probably be posted 1-2 weeks at a time. Now, I know; that’s a big change from my 3-4 days during the summer, but come on. You guys know how hectic life really is.

If it’s any consolation, I’ll still be writing! And I’ll always love you guys ;)

So, without further ado, here’s Chapter Twenty-One! Please comment! Thanks,

Jennaxxx

 PS. Odette Yustman as Clara on the side, and the song is Be Be Your Love by Rachael Yamagata!

Chapter Twenty-One: Clara

Clara was going over to Anna and James’ that evening, with some fantastic news – yes it was all just fantastic. In all of the holiday glory, she was lost in her own life, but that day, she couldn’t go on without seeing or talking to someone.

She appeared on in the doorway of their home, in a heap of mascara-tainted tears and choked sobs. “I think I’m fat!” She wailed when the door opened.

Over the years, James had encountered numerous women in tears. With Anna growing up, and even Kristen too, he knew all too much about how the woman’s psyche worked. But he’d never, in all his time, seen Clara Wallace cry.

“Anna!” He shouted, not taking his eyes off of her. “Anna, something’s wrong!”

Anna was in the bath, humming to the sweet sound of Rachael Yamagata, and sinking into the strawberry bubbles when she heard James’ voice. Her eyes shot open when he called her name for a second time. Within seconds, she was desperately trying to dry herself, and pull on her robe, running out of the bathroom.

Even Hunter snapped up, worried by the warning in James’ tone. He and Anna nearly ran into each other as they tried to follow James’ voice. She merely pushed him out of her way and growled, “Get outta my way!”

He followed as she hustled into the living room, almost running into her as she came to an abrupt halt. Standing beside her, Hunter watched for a moment as Anna’s angry expression (probably caused by him) faded into one of complete sympathy. He turned, and saw James standing in front of the couch, where a girl was seated.

He barely recognized her, but could make out that she was Anna’s friend with whom he was to go on a date with. What was her name? Candace? Clarissa?

“Oh, Clary,” Anna frowned, walking over to the couch and seating herself on the armrest, hugging the Clara to her side. “What’s wrong sweetie?”

Clara sobbed into Anna’s robe, her words inaudible. Panicked, Anna looked up to James. ‘Do something!’ she mouthed.

James gave a frantic, unknowing gesture before an idea hit him. If there was one thing James had gotten very good at, by living with a girl as moody as Anna was, it was how to cook comfort food. “I’ll get you some mocha, Clare,” he announced, grateful that he was planning on making some macaroni and cheese this week anyways.

Now it was only Hunter, standing awkwardly in the room. Hoping that it would feel better, he took a seat on the chair opposing Anna and Clara, but in all honesty, it only made things worse.

Anna sent him a dirty look, thinking it best that Hunter would just leave, but she didn’t dwell on it. “Clara? I need you to talk to me, honey,” she said softly, surprising Hunter with the tone of her voice. “What happened?”