Chapter TwentyThree - Cora

Chapter Twenty-Three: Cora

That’s her?”                                                          

A seemingly tall woman strode towards where Hunter and Anna stood. In reality, she couldn’t have been that tall, considering her massive heels – shoes that Anna would’ve died for, had she been able to walk in six inches. They were patent red, and though she’d rather have them in a muted color, it was undeniable that those heels were classy – and just a little bit dangerous.

Looking at her, Anna guessed she was right. The woman wore a slate grey dress, contoured to fit her body like a glove, and a blinding white coat. Her hair was a gorgeous warm maroon, and Anna had enough time to whisper inconspicuously to Hunter, “So you really did have a thing for red heads?”

He sent her a fleeting look before turning to his soon to be ex-wife. “Hey,” he told her simply.

Under her dark shades, Cora was fuming. How could that be all he had to say? Instead of yelling, her eyes landed on the blonde. “Who’re you?”

“Annabelle Jennings,” Anna introduced herself, though contemptuously. “For the record,” she said. “I don’t like you.”

Cora gave a small, demeaning smile. “Honey, don’t flatter yourself into thinking that I care what you think.”

And while she was still immensely angry at Hunter, Anna smirked; this woman really didn’t know what she was getting herself into. “Good for you,” she smiled sweetly. “Keep your head up high, Honey; god knows that’s the only way to walk when your insides are made of cow shit.”

Anna couldn’t see Cora’s eyes, but she imagined them to be twitching angrily at her by now. “Listen, you redneck bitch –,”

Hunter, who’d merely been observing the women with fascination, stepped in now. “Watch your mouth, Coraline.”

Cora gasped. “She certainly didn’t censor herself when she spoke to me, so vulgarly.”

“You started it,” Anna sang under her breath, causing Hunter to struggle off a chuckle. She looked to him, amused, and wondering if he was enjoying this encounter just about as much as she was.

“I don’t care about the cussing,” he said, scowling now. “But I’m not going to stand by while you just blindly insult her,” he frowned, looking over to Anna for a moment. Her look of surprise softened, and his hands, they itched wrap around her – not in a romantic manner, but a defensive one.

“While I insult her…?” Cora scoffed. “What about all her insults to me?”

Hunter suppressed a grin masterfully, and gave her a dead look. “Well, she wasn’t wrong.”

Under her shades, Cora rolled her eyes. She wanted nothing more than to smack the smirk right off of Blondie’s face. But she wouldn’t – no, she was surprised she even cursed in public. She was better than that. She was a lady.

Tired of silence, Hunter gave a heavy sigh. “Just give me the papers.”

Going through her bag, Cora derisively raised her brow. “When are you coming back to New York, Hunter?” she gave him a condescending look as she handed over a heavy folder. “Don’t you think that you’ve run away long enough? Your company needs you –,”

“No,” he shook his head, laughing dryly. “You don’t get to judge me anymore, much less tell me what to do with my company.”

Anna wanted only to chime in, and let that bitch know how awfully audacious she was being. But, needless to say, if there was one thing admirable about Cora Drake, it was her moxie, for lack of a better word. She was terribly confident for someone so blatantly disliked.