The Potion Book

Arianna's POV

Today was uneventful. Nothing happened at all. Well, except Draco's breakdown. After that happened, I helped in making Draco's face as immaculate as possible, an then we set off for class.

When we reached potions, we all went to our places. Draco went to sit next to Blaise, and I sat next to Daphne. Hermione had an empty seat, but she was engrossed in her new potion book to notice me.

Soon, the others walked in and I was surprised at the amount of students. There were hardly 30! Harry and Ron didn't have potions because Snape didn't take anyone who wasn't an Outstanding. Ppfffttt.

I've heard that the new professor, is quite better than Snape but yeah, I guess I have to see for myself.

As the new professor walked in, we all took out our new potion books and our parchment. He kept three cauldrons in front of us and then introduced himself.

"Hello, students. I'm your new potions professor, Horace Slughorn. But everyone can call me Professor Slughorn."

We all said good morning and we started the class. He asked us about what we had done and well, after Dean pointed out about the cauldrons, did he look at them. I personally think he was actually waiting for someone to ask about those.

"Good eye, Mr. Thomas!" he chuckled and went over. "These are -"

That's when there was a loud voice and we all turned and we saw Harry and Ron stumbling in. Blaise, Pansy and Daphne began snickering. Even Draco let out a smirk. Hermione glowered at them and I couldn't help but let out a laugh.

"Ah! Mr. Potter and -" Slughorn asked Ron.

"Weasely, Sir." Ron said.

"Ah yes, Weasely. You two are late to class!" Slughorn said.

"I'm sorry, Professor, but we didn't know that we were going to be attending potions, we needed an Outstanding." Harry said, scratching his head.

"Oh, yes, Professor McGonagall informed me. Take the spare books and cauldrons and take your seats." Slughorn said and continued with the lecture. "Now as I was saying before being interrupted, these cauldrons contain special potions. Well, we would go over them, of course. Now -"

Behind I heard some fighting and a whispered cry of happiness - probably Ron - and some shuffling. Then I tuned back into the lesson.

"Now, could someone tell me what thus potion is -" He said, opening the lid off the second one. Inside, there was a murky looking potion. "Polyjuice potion sir." I answered.

"Very good, Ms -" he wondered off.

"Arianna Black, Sir." I said, watching as his face took on a look of surprise.

"Sirius or Regulas?" he asked.

"Sirius, Sir." I added.

"Yes, you have the trademark grey eyes. Very unfortunate." He said, before moving on to the next one.

"This is a stupid question, but could one of you tell me the potion?" He asked me and Hermione.

"Amortentia!" We both chorused.

"And it's uses?" He asked with a smile.
"Amortentia is a love potion that gives the drinker a powerful obsession and infatuation with the giver of the potion. It is usually either forced upon someone or covertly given. As a rule of thumb the longer a love potion awaits consumption, the stronger the effects will be." Hermione said.

"And it's identifying characteristics, Ms. Black?"

"It can be identified by its characteristic spirals of steam and its mother-of-pearl sheen, professor."

"Excellent! 20 points to Gryffindor." Slughorn said, beaming.

"The last potion is a hard one, mind you! But I have no doubt that Ms. Granger and Ms. Black would identify it." Slughorn said, taking out a small vial from a drawer.

As soon as I saw it, I knew. Felix Felicis. A lucky potion. This would be useful for Draco's plan. Hell, it would give him luck!

"Felix Felicis, Professor." Hermione said.

"Very good, 5 points to Gryffindor." Slughorn said.

"Felix Felicis, more commonly known as Liquid Luck, grants whoever drinks it unusually good luck." I added. When I ended, everyone was a lot more interested in the lesson than they were before.

"Correct as always, 10 points" Slughorn beemed. "And this is what I'm offering to each and every one if you. One vial of Felix Felicis, to the best brewer of the Draught of Living Death. The potion is found in your textbooks, page number 15. You have one hour to brew it. Go."

All I could hear was the rustling of pages. I opened my book and started following the instructions. Pretty soon, I was at the second last stage, having abandoned the book a long time ago and just putting the ingredients, since the instructions were absurd. Who could cut the bean? I got so frustrated that I just squashed the bean and put the juice in. It was slowly turning into the tar colour that was common for the final stage. Beside me, Daphne had practically given up and was cheering me on. Hermione was just stirring the potion so furiously that I seriously was thinking of the cauldron bursting. Draco was trying so hard and Blaise was clueless, looking around and then back at the cauldron. I was just stirring and then suddenly Slughorn shouts. "Five more minutes! You should be just stirring right now!"

We all hurried and I started to stir the potion quicker. For some reason, the potion was turning black quite slowly. I opened up my book and crosschecked the ingredients. At the last moment I realised, I didn't put in the Agro water! (Totally made up) I quickly put in a few drops and just stirred it. As soon as I stirred it the third time, he told us to stop doing anything. I had forgotten to turn it one last time. It was close to perfect! I slumped down and Daphne hugged me sideways. Hermione was looking around and then saw me slumped. She flashed a sad smile at me and I smiled back at her. Then Slughorn went around testing all the potions.

We looked at all the students who's potions Slughorn tested. It was all a disaster. Hermione's potion was fair and he said mine was excellent but a little below par. I slumped back and as I caught Blaise's eye, he told me not to worry. Draco did quite well and I just hoped that no one would beat my potion, so that I could help Draco with the Felix Felicis. But to my surprise, Harry was declared the winner! What the?

As soon as the bell rang, I leaped out of my seat and told Daphne that I would meet her at dinner. I went over to Harry and saw that he was already being questioned by Hermione and Ron. I went over and stood beside Ron.

"Hey Ari." Ron said.

"Hey Ronnie." I said. "How in the world did Harry do so well at potions?"

"All luck!" He sighed. "He got the spare book which had all the notes written on the corners on making the potion better and I got the book which someone vomited on."

I laughed, which got the attention of Hermione and Harry, who were arguing. "Oh hey Arianna!" Hermione
said and continued, "Help me to make this idiot understand that it's not safe to be taking instructions from a book!"

"The weird potion book?" I asked. "Well, I mean it's a potion book, how much harm can it do? It wouldn't be like the diary right?"

"But -" Hermione protested.

"She's right! And anyways, it's all safe." Harry said. "I promise to throw the book away if it's harmful."

"Okay, fine." Hermione gave in. "Let's go attend Charms please."

≥3≤ ≥3≤ ≥3≤ ≥3≤ ≥3≤ ≥3≤ ≥3≤ ≥3≤ ≥3≤

Hey people! Again sorry for the delay as I was very busyyy.

I know it's a shitty chapter compared to the previous ones but I wanted to update badly soo..

Vote!

Comment

Like!

But most importantly

Enjoy!!!

( ̄3 ̄)( ̄3 ̄)( ̄3 ̄)( ̄3 ̄)( ̄3 ̄)( ̄3