Chapter 2

Bang! Bang! Liz ran out of the bathroom, wearing big baby-blue cleaning gloves up to her elbows, dripping wet and holding a toilet brush in one hand. Bang! Bang! "One minute!" she shouted at the front door. She ducked back into the guest bathroom and threw off the gloves. The brush landed with a splash in the now-clean toilet. She quickly washed her hands and rushed back out without bothering to dry them.

Her hands slipped as she grabbed the knob. Bang! Bang! "I'm right here! Hold on," she was losing her patience.

The door swung open and before her stood the tall blue-eyed sex god of her dreams, a.k.a. Miss Vaughn's boyfriend. She couldn't get him out of her head since the first time they met last week. Immediately a blush threatened to expose her thoughts. She silently cursed herself as she looked anywhere but at him, "Hello sir. Miss Vaughn is not here at the moment. Shall I inform her you stopped by?" She hoped her voice came out even and emotionless.

Leland smiled. He took in the scent of her, honey-vanilla and cayenne pepper, a little sweat and cleaning supplies. "I'm sorry to interrupt you while cleaning. May I come in?"

"Um," her eyes were lowered again. He hated that. "Miss Vaughn isn't here."

"You mentioned that. May I wait for her? Will she be returning shortly?"

"Um," she wasn't sure of what to do. "I suppose." This was her boss's boyfriend after all, and she was never told he wasn't allowed in. Besides her building was strict with who they allowed in and this guy was apparently on the list, so it must be okay. She stepped aside as he strode in, heading straight for the bar stools at the counter. He sat down like he owned the place. Maybe he did. Liz wondered how her boss could afford such a nice place when it seemed like she didn't work at all.

"Is there anything I can get for you while you wait?" Liz asked.

He pondered a moment and studied her as she walked around the counter. Perhaps his first assessment of her was premature. She wasn't unremarkable, just well disguised behind her uniform. Compared to Vanessa, who stood at 6' even and model thin, Liz would look short at about 5'5". But she had a deliciously curvy figure. And he couldn't help but wonder what she'd look like with her hair down and wearing nothing but a lacy thong. The thought made him squirm in his seat.

"Sir?" she interrupted his thoughts.

"Sorry," he smiled. "I don't think I've properly introduced myself." He stood and offered a hand, "My name is Leland Moore. Nice to meet you."

Liz wiped her sweaty, wet palm on her pants before accepting his, which was firm and warm. The thought of his hands made her nervous. "Elizabeth Soler," she looked at the counter, it was safer that way.

"Puerto Rican?" he asked, willing for her to look at him.

Her eyes shot up in a flash of anger and she yanked her hand from his, "What? Because I'm a maid with dark hair and tan skin I'm automatically Puerto Rican? A bit discriminating, don't you think?" Her hands were on her hips, chin tilted up, and the look in her eyes were damning.

Yes! Leland thought as he sat back on the stool. He couldn't stand her submissive act; this was a lot more fun. With a smirk he couldn't hide he said, "I meant your last name sounded Puerto Rican."

"Oh," immediately she lowered her eyes again and the fire she just displayed fizzled out, much to his disappointment. "Yeah, my mom's half Puerto Rican."

"What about your father?"

She turned to the refrigerator, "He's never been in the picture." Why am I telling him personal shit? She asked herself.

"I'm sorry to hear that. I don't know my father either."

This better not be turning into one of those mushy "tell each other our personal stories" moments, Liz thought. She had better things to do than bond with her boss's boyfriend. "Would you like a sandwich?" She opened the refrigerator and peered in. Without waiting for his answer she pulled out roast beef, Swiss cheese, lettuce, and plenty of fixings.

She barely heard his "Thank you." He was strangely quiet.

As she handed him the completed meal, she looked up to find him staring at her. His eyes intensely dark. She couldn't look away. "Anything else?" Her heart beat pounded in her ears.

He wanted to ask her so much more about herself. She was a curiosity to him. One moment she was fiery and sexy, then the next she was quiet, demure, and submissive. Who was the real Elizabeth Soler? Looking into her eyes he saw her own confusion. Her pulse was heightened. Was she scared of him, as so many people are? Or was she as interested in him as he was beginning to be in her?

"Hello," Vanessa's voice broke him out of his thoughts. He turned to see her walking through the front door with a pile of boxes and shopping bags with legs following her. "Right there on the couch," she ordered, and the doorman obeyed. "Thank you." She handed him a $10 on his way out. "Maria put those away." She didn't even look at the woman. For some reason this bothered Leland, but he didn't say anything. Now was not the time.

Liz hurried to the couch and began piling the boxes high. He wanted to offer his help, but thought better of it with Vanessa's attention on him. "Darling," she yipped. He hated that. "What a surprise. What brings you here?"

"I came to see you," he lied. Out of the corner of his eye he watched Liz scramble to get the mountain of purchased goods into Vanessa's bedroom.

"Ooh," she purred. "I wasn't planning on your visit. I'm absolutely looking atrocious." She exaggerated. Vanessa Vaughn never left the house looking anything but perfect. "I need to freshen up." She dashed off to her private bathroom just as Liz was reemerging from the bedroom.

She quietly took away Leland's empty plate, wondering when he had the chance to eat. All the while she felt his eyes on her, unnerving her. What is his game? She questioned. What kind of man stares at his girlfriend's hired help? Was he a pervert? A sex addict? All of these thoughts made her more nervous. Was she in danger? Perhaps I should pick up some pepper spray, she thought as she glanced over at him; his dark gaze was still intently on her. Just to be safe.

***************************************

So I realize Leland is seeming like a cheating a**hole, but I promise to make him more appealing as the story goes along.

I want to know what you think of Leland.  Where do you think the story is going so far?  

I'd love to hear from you all.  Don't forget to vote for the chapter, I appreciate each and every one.

Cheers!