Chapter 24

Thank you everyone for your patience.  I had such a tough time with this chapter.  First I was sick, then stuck.  I rewrote this chapter 4 times (no joke).  Lots of plotting had to be done to be sure the story is heading in the right direction.  I know you all want to see Leland and Liz reunited (as do I).  And I'm working on that.

In the meantime, I hope you all are still enjoying the story.

~Nikki Hudak~

************************************************

It was more than shocking to hear the chilling sounds of someone's bones breaking and reforming. Being a powerful werewolf himself, he knew all too well exactly what those sounds had meant. It meant trouble, big trouble. With a country club filling with patrons, both werewolves and humans alike, a turned wolf running loose would have catastrophic consequences. There was no way he was willing to risk exposure, especially with a murderous rogue already threatening the delicate balance between wolves and humans.

So, Virgil Bennett, pack alpha of the Delmarva pack, which is based in New York, decided to take matters into his own hands. Promptly, he evacuated the entire building under the pretense of a gas leak. It worked well. Everyone scuttled out of there fairly quickly. The only ones left, besides the mystery wolf that decided to change in a public domain, were himself, his personal guards and a few security wolves that worked at the club.

He did have the sense to call the Lord Alpha but it went to voice mail. Asshole! Of course the pandering Alpha wouldn't be available when needed. He was probably out chasing some human slut. It was moments like these when he wished he had the power Leland Moore had. I'd be a fucking better Lord Alpha than that British bastard!

But there was no time to sulk. The last of the guests and staff evacuated just in time before a female voice echoed down the halls, "HELP!"

"Shit!" It was bad enough that a reckless wolf was loose somewhere in the labyrinth of halls, but it sounded like a woman, either human or wolf, was trapped. He needed to get to her, and fast.

Sounds of battle echoed down the hall, eliciting a few curse words from the alpha's mouth. Now there are two fucking wolves?! Just as he and his lackeys aimed down the main hall, they heard a loud CRACK, followed by the most horrendous howl of pain no wolf would ever want to hear. Fuck me! This was not the kind of situation he wanted to handle.

****************************************

The entire building was eerily quiet as the black wolf stalked forward, taking his time, enjoying the silent torture he provided. With the traitor maimed behind him and his enemy trembling before him, he could taste his victory. And it tasted sweet. Soon he would be rid of those who dared to keep him away from his Mate.

The distant sound of hurried footsteps interrupted his retribution. Lifting his muzzle he sniffed the air. In it he found a mixture of familiar male scents tainted with hints of panic. Their fast approach grated at his already frayed nerves. With betrayal in the air he was uncertain if the werewolves approaching were friend or foe anymore. Growling he turned away from the wretched woman and faced the open ended hall. He refused to relinquish his advantageous spot between the Delta and the human. Somehow he knew if the two were to reach each other it would put an end to the swift justice he had hoped to inflict.

Just as the quickened steps became audible to Daniela's ears, Ethan was finally able to catch their scents. Thank god! He wanted to shout out, but opted to stay silent and still before his crazed Alpha. He knew the black wolf balanced on a razor's edge. A powerful male such as he did not react well to being pushed into the proverbial corner.