Chapter 25

Daniela wanted to scream. It wasn't enough to nearly be eaten alive by one werewolf and then claimed by another as - what did he call it? - Oh yes, his Mate (which she hoped was a term for a really close friend or colleague), but she also had to witness the gruesome transition of the black wolf back into Leland Moore: Original suspect for Elizabeth Soler's disappearance; violent werewolf who just assaulted a Police Officer (her); and the man who stood before her, stark naked.

A low growl emitted from Ethan, aimed directly at Leland. "Put some clothes on please," he ground out. To Daniela, he added in a much softer tone, "Look away, sweetheart."

She answered with a scoff. "Why? You're just as naked as he is." And just as much of a werewolf, she wanted to snap, but held back. That conversation would have to wait for another day. Instead she added, "And don't call me sweetheart."

He would have been taken aback by her reaction had he not known her so well; and since he knew he was about to be in the dog house, so to speak, he focused on the issue at hand: Leland's lack of apparel. "It's not appropriate for another male to parade around in his birthday suit before another man's Mate," he argued back.

"There's that word again. Mate. I am not anyone's Mate, especially not with the way I'm feeling right now." Like, I want to be the one to grow claws and shred you apart! She crossed her arms.

"You are my Mate, and I won't have another male, even my own Alpha, naked before you!" He was seriously getting agitated.

Her countenance hardened as her mouth opened to lash out, but was quickly interrupted. "Who the fuck cares!" Virgil snapped. He trembled in what might have been rage, or fear. Turning to the Lord Alpha he snarled, "This changes nothing! The laws clearly demand retribution for your actions..."

Though Leland had returned to his human form, his mind was still clouded by primal instinct. In the blink of an eye he snatched up the inferior alpha, had him slammed against the wall, feet dangling, and strangled in a choke hold. A menacing growl slid past his lips as his oppressive Alpha energy pushed against Virgil's rib cage.

There was no immediate aid for the Delmarva alpha. The other five wolves had immediately submitted to their Lord Alpha, their heads bowed, knees bent and necks arched to the side. Cowards! Virgil wanted to shout, but could only manage garbled slurs beneath his constricted wind pipe. Seconds before his neck bones were crushed within Leland's brutal strength, he was saved from the least expected source.

"That's enough!" Daniela cried. Her protective instincts pushed past her fears and she was up on her feet in an instant, heading straight for Leland. "You'll kill him!"

"Daniela!" Ethan growled as he scrambled to get up, in spite of the pain.

She snapped over her shoulder, "Don't you 'Daniela' me!" Turning to Leland she wanted to shout at him, but the feral glare he bore into Virgil made her pause. What was it that Ethan was telling everyone to do? Oh yes, submit. She glanced over at the other wolves and tried to mimic their stances as best as she could, then resigned herself to simply lowering her gaze. "Hey," her tone was softer this time. She realized she needed to appeal to the werewolf. So what was it that he wanted most? Liz.

"This won't help you find her."

Glowing blue eyes snapped to her. Every muscle in his face was strained. It was a look she had seen a thousand times before while working in the missing persons' unit. This was the look of a desperate man, one who just wanted his loved one back.