Chapter 10

Sorry for the delay guys :-(   

I've been under the weather, but am determined to get some more Alpha love out to y'all!

Thanks to all my lovely readers - Enjoy :-D

*********************************************************

"This better be very damned important Aston," Leland growled into the phone. His wolf was yearning to go back into his study, right back to Liz.

There was a slight pause before a gruff voice answered, "We found another one."

Leland froze. Every bone in his body was chilled, his muscles tensed, and the tips of his canines pressed at the edge of his lips. "Where?" There was a deadly calm to his voice.

Another pause and Aston answered, "Just beyond Willow Street, close to Barber and Wills."

A roar erupted from the depths of Leland's chest. "The bastard's getting closer! Tell me you got a scent." Silence. "Aston," he growled.

"You want me to lie to you?"

"DAMN IT!" Leland paced the length of his bedroom. "You have the best god-damned nose in the whole fucking country! How the hell is he getting away from you?"

"I honestly don't know. We may need to get some extra help with this..."

"No!" Leland cut him off. He knew exactly who Aston was referring to. "This is to stay among our own. We do not require outside assistance."

"I am inclined to agree, but..."

"But?! Do you dare contradict my judgment?" A powerful surge of energy rushed to the surface and Leland knew his wolf was trying to take over. First it was Liz, now this! It seemed he just couldn't catch a break today, and so soon after the full moon no less.

"No..."

"Good, now what have you done with it?"

"It has been relocated to Sterling Forest."

"And you're not worried a hiker might happen upon the body?" A note of aggravation tainted his voice.

Aston cleared his throat nervously, "We took precautions."

"What precautions?" He nearly growled with impatience.

"The body was taken far off trail and buried deep beneath a rock slab. No one will find it, I can assure you."

"You had better hope not. The bastard's already bested us three times. I will not have some curse-ed MUTT outing us to the humans. I want him caught Aston. I want him brought to me. And I will tear the filthy dog Limb. From. Limb." Leland was shaking with anger, seeing red. A single thought echoed in his mind, causing his wolf to throw a fit of rage beneath his skin. Liz could be next. And he'd be damned if he were to allow that to happen. "Find that fucking bastard. Use every god-damned resource we have. But keep the circle tight. No outsiders!"

"Yes Alpha," Aston barked, his conviction to follow Leland's orders evident in his voice.

Alpha, the word hung in the air as Leland ended the call. How proud he had been to earn the title, and yet it seemed more like a burden now. How could he protect his packs if the enemy was a ghost?

And now he had even more to worry about. Thoughts of Liz bounced back into his brain. He wasn't ready to admit to himself what she truly was to him, though his wolf was chanting it over and over in his mind. The only word he could admit to was: Mine!

Restless and shaken with the knowledge there was a murderous mutt out in the world, Leland and his wolf needed to see Liz, and they needed to see her right now. He nearly charged out of his room before remembering her simple request, that he wear some clothes. Growling in frustration at the delay he quickly threw on whatever he could find, not caring what he looked like. Sniffing the air he followed her scent down the hall, then curiously down several sets of stairs, and through the grand foyer where his wolf first met her.

Where the hell is she? Leland wondered, his restlessness quickly morphed into aggravation. And as he followed her scent through the servants' entrance, around the house and to where her car should have been, his aggravation turned into anger. A roar ripped from his lungs, "LIZ!"

Shewas gone. 

**********************************************

I know this is short.  Sorry about that.  I will try to get the next chapter out to you guys sooner.

I feel so blessed to have so many readers in love with this story.  It inspires me to write more.

Your support, votes and comments feed my creativity.

Luv you guys ;-)

~Nikki Hudak~